1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help With Cd Rom Ide Detecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neff11h4l, Dec 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neff11h4l

neff11h4l Thread Starter

hello first off i just put together this computer for my sisters kids for christmas..... first thing that is happening is when i leave something in the floppy or cd rom and try and boot up it. says detecting ide and gets stuck there for along time..... second off i have a maxtor 80 gig 7200 8 mg buffer and it formated to a 76 gig is this correct??? please help me and happy holidays!

2. top_gizmo

top_gizmo

First things first.

Will it boot if there is nothing in the floppy or CD drives?
    Did you set the jumpers right?
    Do all drives show up in the BIOS?

3. milomorai

milomorai

yes, formatted a 80gb drive is about 76gb

4. neff11h4l

neff11h4l Thread Starter

thanks for the harddrive reply and yes it boots up fine without the disks being in there.... i did not touch the jumpers because the harddrive is on its own ribbon and so is the cd rom... they both show up fine in the bios please reply thanks soo much

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the floppy drive work? Maybe its cable is reversed.

Please do check the jumpers on all the drives. They should be set to MASTER or SINGLE or as a last ditch effort CS (cable select). Also make sure that the IDE cable on the hard drive is an 80 Wire cable not 40 wire. The 80 is finer and will have 3 different colored connectors.

As a work around try changing the boot order so that only the hard drive is in the boot sequence.

Also what motherboard do you have?

6. neff11h4l

neff11h4l Thread Starter

hey i have a gigabyte p4 titan 848p i am going to in a sec check the cables i am using the cables that came with the motherboard.. yes both the cd rom and the floppy drive work.... i have the harddrive right now connected to the last end on the ribbon should i move it up too the first connection?

7. neff11h4l

neff11h4l Thread Starter

hello i just put this new computer together and whenever i leave a cd in the cd rom and the computer boots up it gets stuck at detecting ide controller. it eventually goes but takes like 5 min to go please help me i have checked and moved the jumpers on the harddrive but it still does the same thing please help

8. milomorai

milomorai

no the last connection is always for the primary drive. what is your boot-up sequence? that is in the bios and usually is floppy, hdd, cd-rom. since it boots fine w/nothing in the removable drives it looks like you might hace the cd-rom as the first boot device.

9. dai

dai

are you trying to boot from the cd
    have you set your bios to boot from cd first
    check you have the cable in the right way around the side with the red line goes into the drive alongside the power plug
    check you are detecting them in the bios
    have you installed the drivers from the m/b setup disk

10. neff11h4l

neff11h4l Thread Starter

its floppy harddrive cdrom

11. neff11h4l

neff11h4l Thread Starter

yes i have installed all drivers and cables are right and bootup is floppy harddrive cdrom

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, if the cdrom is a boot device choice, there will be a search to see if the cdrom is bootable. I'd just take it out of the startup choice....set third choice to NONE....or take the cd out of the drive ;)

13. ~Candy~

*sigh* I see you have two threads, PLEASE do NOT duplicate post. Merging threads.

14. dai

dai

if you want to boot from the cd,you will have to change it in the bios to cd,c,floppy

15. ~Candy~

And usually a pc won't even boot up if you leave a floppy in the floppy drive, it should error out with a 'cannot find OS' or 'boot disk error, remove disk, then reboot', or something similar.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/189240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice