1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Computer Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -WX, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. -WX

-WX Thread Starter

Dear all,

I am seeking a new computer build for a Animation/Gaming and movie watching purposes.

I am a Flash Animator and will be working on a major Flash project from time to time. I currently use a laptop to do my animations but it lags whenever details become slightly too complex. My laptop has 512 mb RAM. The thing is, I want to know what specific hardware I need to improve my animation experience so that it won't lag or delay. Does the RAM affect the lag I keep getting or is it something else?

I also use my computer to listen to music, watch a ton of movies and play online games. Basically, I need something that is great at multitasking and is able to work smoothly. Fast is the keyword, I love a speedy computer. Who doesn't?

Please recommend me on the specific hardware I will need to look for to build my dream computer.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

You'll need plenty of RAM, and a GOOD video card.

Stay away from onboard video. That's what causes the lag. Onboard video shares RAM with the system, so intensive video apps are like a big boat anchor to your system.

Look at Intel Core 2 Duo Processors
    Intel or ASUS motherboards
    Seagate 7200.10 hard drives SATA 3.0
    DDR2 667 RAM (2 GB recommended)
    Lite On optical drives (Retail versions, unless you have Nero already)
    And pick out a good video card. If you want to get ready for DX10 now (expensive) look at 8800GTS or 8800GTX. If you're not worried about DX10, look at the X1950XT or X1950PRO.
    Be sure to get a power supply with adequate amperage to handle these power guzzling video cards.

Start hunting around at www.newegg.com and see what you want to get!

3. sickcars

sickcars

Good advice,

FOr Powersupplys I would be looking at anything from OCZ Great company great products.

Also stick with Windows XP dont upgrade to Vista.

Ciao

4. -WX

-WX Thread Starter

Cheers for the advice guys :).

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, decide on which cpu you are going to go with AMD or intel. In either case I would go with a dual core cpu. If you go intel and you do not intend to overclock the machine, I would go with a real intel motherboard. IMO nothing beats the stability of an intel chip running on a real intel board. If you do intend to overclock the machine, then go with a board from asus, abit, epox, or dfi running an intel chipset. Stay away from boards that use third party chipsets ie sis, via, etc.

If you go AMD, then I would go with a board running either an ati chipset or an nvidia chipset. Again quality board makers are asus, abit, epox, and dfi.

Whatever board you choose to go with, make sure you go to the board maker's site and check for compatible ram. Installing ram not listed as compatible might work and again it might not. Stick with things that have already been tested and found to work.

Post your parts selection here and we can tell you if it is of good quality or not.

6. brite750

brite750

7. brite750

brite750

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice