1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with connection problem.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by primul, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primul

primul Thread Starter

The other day i called my sevice provider and had them help me hook my wireless router to my desktop so i could use my laptop with my service.. I let them take remote control of my desktop and do the whole set up from there location. Everything went good , they did something called a " Bridge" to my modem and sent me on my way.
    Everything worked great for a couple days, but then yesterday while i was on my desktop my internet stopped working. A popup bubble came up and told me that my computer (desktop) had little or no connection.This is what i found weird because my desktop was hard wired to the router and the router to m modem.. I have never seen this message pop up on my desktop before.
    I called my service provider and they had me disconnect the router, restart my modem and reinstall the modem.. Well that didnt work at all.. The modem connects to the internet but my desktop still wont connect to the internet... So they ran some line tests , and told me my modem was bad.. They are sending me out a new modem and i should have it in a few days..
    Ok so now this is where it gets weird..

Just for laughs and giggles i hooked my router back up. I went downstairs and turned on my laptop to see if i could connect to the internet and sure enough it connected with no problem:confused: .. Im thinking "how could the laptop connect to the internet if the modem was bad?".. So now im thinking the modem is fine but when they took remote control of my desktop that day to set up my router , the person screwed something up in the desktop.

Is it possible tha they screwed up a setting or something ? Im not going to call them back till i get the new modem , i figure ill get a free upgrade here from something they screwed up. I know they did something wrong that day, it always seems that when i call them with a problem i get someone that dont know what they are doing.. I knew i was going to have a problem as soon as the guy told me to push the reset buton on the modem.. Everyone has always told me not to press that button..

Anyways if i didnt confuse anyone here , i hope that someone could help me out to fix this problem on my own and i wont haveto call them back to fix it once i get my new modem. Any help will be great .
    Thanks in advance :)

-Curt

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For both PCs please show ....

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice