1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with converting word4 docs to xls docs

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by philip kirkham, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philip kirkham

philip kirkham Thread Starter

Good afternoon,

does any one know where i can get a converter that will allow me to read spreadsheet documents that are in word 4 (*.wks) format using office excel and ultimately allow me to save them in excel format (*.xls).

I know that in the office word that *.wps word processor documents can be opened and "converted" so that they can be read and then saved in *.doc format, but i need to be able to convert the spreadsheet types and as yet i have not seen anything that will let me do this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Phil

2. philip kirkham

Just to clarify,

i have already asked something similar, earlier in the year, and yes the .wps doc's are opened in word via the converter. BUT, we have MS word 4 i believe and this has a spreadsheet section which i cannot convert via excel, the question is how do you convert an old .wks document into a MS office excel version without losing all the settings - anything to suggest? at what point did a later program stop converting .wks into .xls, office 97 etc?

should i pass this to the business forum?

best regards
    phil

3. finwood

finwood

MS Word 4. is realllllllllly old! I believe that version was pre Win 95. I think you should upgrade your application.

4. philip kirkham

Good afternoon,

Yes the software is old, it is being run on a company system that has even older software, a DOS database called DATAFILE, due to economic reasons and a loss in learned staff, the systems there have not been upgraded since i last worked there 2 1/2 years ago, the cad system has only got up to LT 97, so i am trying to upgrade the system to use MS office 2002 and therefore use excel for the spreadsheets, office word for the word processor and MS Access for the database, even then i have to upgrade the hardware to be able to run ACAD 2004, so getting to grips with the network is in my remit.

And as i am new to some of the tasks (databases and networks) i have to get as much knowledge as i can to bring the system into this millenium.

As far as converting the files are concerned i do have a stop gap by introducing adobe acrobat onto the existing system and creating PDF's of the old documents, but this does not mean i can alter them to be compatible with the latest software and therefore usable.

When the new computer becomes available i will have to try and connect it into the existing network and therefore that will be fun.

Best regards
    phil

5. finwood

finwood

You are saying that you have MS Works 4. Works has a word processor (.wps), a database (.wdb) and a spread sheet (.wks) You want to convert the works spread sheet into an MS Office 2002 excel spread sheet. Someone else might know more about it than I do, but I don't think you will be able to do that.

First, you didn't say what OS you had, but you would need at least Win 95 to run Office 2002. I used to use the Works Suite database (.wdb) that used Word as the word processor, and I decided I wanted to learn to use Access. I had to make all new databases...I couldn't use them when trying to access data when making reports, and form letters in Access- Office 2002.

So, If there are too many to re-enter, I'd say upgrade your OS, and buy the newest MS Works Suite, and continue to use the spreadsheet part. It would convert the old files into the new app. (I think) Win XP wouldn't, however, because 16 bit and dos programs are not compatible, and will not run on XP.

The works spreadsheet won't have all the bells and whistles that excel has, but, it would be a major step up from any dos based programs.

Hope this helps....And Like I said, Someone else might know a way to do it.

6. philip kirkham

Good Afternoon,

Yes you are quite correct, .wks applications are impossible to open on an xp computer, and yes i should have made clear the OS's etc.

The oldest computer involved is running Win95 and running a dos based application called datafile which is a database that sales use, orders are entered for record purposes and hard copies made as and when required, the computer is about a 2-300 Mhz machine with about 0.25GB hard disk, it also runs the MS word processor and spreadsheet program as previously mentioned.

The next is a compac, which is also running Win95 and the MS word processor and spreadsheet program as previously mentioned, it is also running the datafile program as a database, but in the guise of the stock control function of the program (the two are different in their presentation, but are essentially the same), this i believe is a 366 Mhz machine with a 0.6GB hard drive, the databases of both the above machine i am going to have to reconstruct in MS Access, as i said this is all new to me, in fact this 2nd machine used to be used for the earlier type of autocad.

The remaining two computers that are involved are the contract engineers computers (although there are others that are connected to the network that are used by other members of staff, but there contents are not part of the need to upgrade urgently). These are HP Brio's both are identical as being 433Mhz machines with just short of 4GB hard drives. These again, are running the MS word processor and spreadsheet program but in Win 98, they also run the autocad LT97, one is actually designated as the 'depository' for all the contract folders i.e. instead of duplicate information being held on both computers, only one holds all the files and the other accesses it when saving documents to a clients contract folder, so it technically is being used as a server.

My home PC is fairly old and crashes quite a lot at the moment, and i will be shortly replacing it as it has got to the upgrade no more stage, although it is only a 850Mhz celeron running xp home with various autocad packages from 2004, mech desktop, inventor 7 and arch desktop, MS office for xp etc, it is far in advance to the units at work and they need to 'catch' up.

The plan is to change this 'depository' unit into a AMD XP2000 unit running xp, also running Autocad 2004 or 2005 and MS office for xp, to convert all the records held on the old computer to a form that can be read by the new machine, which includes all the .wps / .wks and autocad LT97 drawings, to create a new database for replacing both the sales and stock control databases so that they are both accessible from one computer and all the others on the network and finally to upgrade / replace all the existing computers to run xp and office suite.

A tall order, but the first hurdle is knowing how to convert the spreadsheet documents in .wks into .xls, the stop gap is to open them in the old machine and save them as pdf's via adobe acrobat 5, this only allows me to view them, they will also gain weight i.e. more kb's per file.

Any suggestions as to a convertor to bring them up to at least office 2000 would be helpful, else i will have to create pdf's, as the .wps can be opened with the inbuilt convertor in office 2000 they are easy to update, autocad 2004 can at least open the LT97 as they are technically cut down R14's.

I came to realise that with the urge by companies to reduce the hard copy storage problem that they may go down the route of transfering data to disk, but the problem as i have found is that as technology updates and therefore the software, the formats change as well, making the saved data unreadable, just look at the save options available!

Sorry about the rant, frustration, AAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh! annndddd relax.

Best regards
    phil
    Contracts engineer and budding network and database engineer (well, if i knew where to start)

7. finwood

finwood

You're not going to be able to do much with computers that old. I have Office XP pro, and it's over 300 MG alone. I'm not sure about Excel, but I know that if you do a custom install of Word you have different types of converters that you can choose from. I have no more ideas, so, I wish you Good Luck!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice