Help with CRT monitor power/life-saving

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The DOS Machine

Hello again everyone,

I am frequently uploading things to my website with a shaky dial-up connection, so I need to often check to see if the connection has terminated. Beyond signing up for broadband (I wish) or buying an LCD (ditto), what is the best balance between saving energy use with my monitor and extending its life? At one extreme I could simply turn the monitor off and on every thirty minutes or so to save energy, but I highly doubt that is very good for it. At the other I could just leave it on all the time to avoid power cycling, but that would waste energy.

My real question is: If I turn the brightness and contrast knobs all the way down so there is a dark screen (like it is off), what effect would that have on energy usage and monitor life?

-DOSMAN

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Why don't you just use power settings to turn it off after so many minutes of inactivity?

I would just set my thermostat up 1 degree during the summer and down 1 degree during the winter to compensate for the power the monitor is using and leave it on.

Take care.

Kilowatt

The DOS Machine

You are absolutely right, AcaCandy; I forgot to mention that my new ATI AIW 9000 video card will, for some reason, always crash the computer when power management blanks the screen like you suggest. I, thus, must turn that option completely off. This isn't suspend or standby either, it's just the "Turn Monitor Off" function. :confused:

Howdy folks...

The DOS Machine...

IMHO, Aca's suggestion would be the best...

But if it is crashing the system then look to upgrading the video drivers ( believe it or not, the drivers that came with the card may not be the most current ones )...

Don't know which OS you are using but try the latest updates, to see if it will correct the problem with the crashing, as well...

Also may want to look in the BIOS to see if the ACPI functions are enabled ( I've sometimes seen if the ACPI functions in the BIOS were turned on, it would crash a system running Windows 98, it's rare...but I've seen it a time or two )...

kilowatt1 said:
I would just set my thermostat up 1 degree during the summer and down 1 degree during the winter to compensate for the power the monitor is using and leave it on.

Take care.

Kilowatt
I think your idea is best so far. At least it made me laugh out loud :D :D So folks CRT monitors don't really use that much power do they? :confused:

4steve44...

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly ( and I may be :) )...

The question is Power saving verses monitor life...

If you turn the monitor off and on every so often ( ie: every 30 minutes ), then that could, IMHO indeed shorten the life of some of the components, of the monitor ( ie: the flyback transformer, and the horizontal output transistor ), don't have time to go into the details, but the constant heating up, and cooling down will cause a failure...

I didn't see it as an energy usage issue, but an issue of energy usage verses monitor life....

No...

The flyback, and horizontal output transistor ( among others ), stays on...the signal drops to the monitor ( thus increasing the life span of the monitor, you got to understand with a signal the voltage is higher )...

Decreasing the temp of the room will use more power than using the power saving features of the monitor...

The DOS Machine

^So, as long as there is still a signal (and, thus, higher voltage) there is no effective difference regardless of "brightness" and "contrast" settings? Surely having those set so low that there is no visible picture would decrease or even eliminate the output of the electron guns, but I have no idea whether that is significant or not.

...and don't 15" CRTs pull over 100 watts (if not close to 200)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online