1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with DC replication - file replication and synchronization between DC

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by noobmoone, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noobmoone

noobmoone Thread Starter

I have one primary DC that has AD, printer server, file server, IIS 6.0. About 30 users log on in AD.
    It is designed that for every user folders My Documents and Desktop are kept on server (think this is done with folder redirection with GPOs). If the DC is unavailable (and it often is due to his old hardware - one processor at 3GH and 1GB DD2 RAM).

I want to make another server DC, so if the primary falls the new one will take control. I've promoted the server as DC, but during the replication process it only copy users and computers from AD of the primary server. Now i have another DC in the network, but if the primary falls again the users cannot access the files and folder in My Documents and Desktop folder.
    How can i make file replication between the two DC (if that's possible), and how to enable synchronization between the two, so if one falls the other can take the full control.

If somebody has idea or have done this pleas help.

Thax

2. srhoades

srhoades

For file replication DFS is probably the way to go. Or, enable offline files for the users so they have a local copy of their files to work with, and once the DC comes back the workstations will upload the changes to the server.

3. noobmoone

noobmoone Thread Starter

Thanx for the answer srhoades.
    Any ideas how to enable offline files for the users?
    Can i do it manually on ever folder, or i have to do it in GPO.
    I'm not very experienced in using GPOs.

4. srhoades

srhoades

You need to right click the server share, sharing and security, and the offline options are there.

5. noobmoone

noobmoone Thread Starter

:) I figure it out.
    The strange this is that the DC has remote desktop enabled. I log on as enterprise admin and i can't change that settings. In the GPO also the setting for offline files is disabled, but i can't change it.
    That's strange.
    Though, in my pc, i log on with my account in DC, but the account i use i have made administrator for the local machine, and i can enable offline files with no problem.
    When i go to other users, that are members of Domain Users i just don't have permissions to enable offline files.
    Any idea?

6. Rockn

Rockn

DFS is another option. I would not use DFS for user files and folders. You need to first determine how these folders are being redirected. Look to see where you are trying to enable offline files. THere is a user and a computer component to every GPO. Maybe you are trying to enable it on a part of the GPO that is disabled.

Run the Group Policy Results wizard against a certain user/computer config and see where the folder redirection is coming from.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!