1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with DD-WRT / REPEATER

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mobhimji, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobhimji

mobhimji Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm at my wits end. I've tried everything that I can think of, but just can't figure this out.

This is the scenario.

I'm using Shaw (Vancouver, BC Canada) as my ISP, they've provided me with a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway. I have dead spots at home, as we've got multiple wireless devices (lots, trust me).

So I first purchased the EnGenius EAP9550 but am still getting very poor reception/signal when upstairs in the bedroom. We (my wife and I) normally spend a couple of hours in bed with iPad/Android tablet catching up on e-mail etc., unless I leave the door to the bedroom open the signal isn't just making it in. She does a lot of Skype/Viber/What's App on her iPhone and I do spend some time on my Android phone. Kid has an iPod touch that never seems to have a problem. Niece who lives with us connects wireless on her laptop, she also has an Android phone.

Not all devices are always used at once - but from time-to-time they can be.

Number of connections is set to 50 or some crazy number.

If we're on the main floor where the router+modem is, no issues. I've even tried to isolate the router+modem to be away from any other device (i.e., Wii, media player, PVR etc.,) but just not possible because of where all the outlets are. Taking the router+modem upstairs unfortunately is not an option.

Next - someone tells me to pick-up a D-Link DIR-615 router and install DD-WRT on it - I did, searched for dozens of sites to try and set this up correctly but nothing seems to be working. The router says "H/W Ver.: E3 F/W Ver.: 5.10" on the back. I am using the latest version of DD-WRT V24-SP2.

I'm adept at this stuff, but by no means an expert and don't want to go out and spend yet more money trying to get this to work. I've tried the Geek Squad route ... and well, lets just not go there.

I've resolved the issues I had with my laptop by purchasing the TRENDnet Powerline adapters and it works fine - but this won't work for all the wireless devices we have (oddly enough my sons iPod never has a problem connecting even behind closed doors).

I'd appreciate any help - let me know what information you need from me and I'll provide it.

Here is what I have from my cable modem + router (it is a combined unit, my ISP no longer provides a cable modem only and trying to get them to switch this to work as cable modem only and use my own router isn't worth the headache):

Wireless Security Mode: WPA2-Personal
    Encryption: AES
    Local IP Address: 192.168.10.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Network Mode: Mixed
    Radio Band: 2.4GHz
    Channel Width: Standard - 20 Mhz Channel
    Standard Channel: 11
    Broadcast SSID: ON

There is a tab that reads WDS SETTINGS and under that there is a checkbox that says "Allow wireless signal to be repeated by a repeater" - that is CHECKED and there are three boxes where I can enter MAC addresses. One is filled that points to the MAC address of the EnGenius EAP9550 device -- again this seems to work; however once the bedroom door is closed you can kiss the signal goodbye.

On the cable modem+router, SPI Firewall Protection is DISABLED and none of the boxes are checked (Filter Proxy, Block Pop-Up Windows etc., are all disabled). There is one box that is enabled that reads "Block Anonymous Internet Requests".

There are dozens of settings on the DD-WRT firmware that's been loaded onto the D-Link DIR-615 router so I'm not sure what to provide however I've followed the DD-WRT WiKi pretty faithfully including hours of research on the internet to no avail. Most tutorials are a few years old and not applicable to the version of DD-WRT loaded onto the device (V24-SP2),

Ideally I'd like to run the EnGenius device along with getting the D-Link to work so that I can plaster the signal in my place.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice