Help with Deciding whether I need a BIOS Upgrade or a New Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HelpDisLady

Hi all,

I recently purchased an XFX Geforce FX5200 8xAGP 128Mb DDR graphics card, however, it doesn't appear that my MOBO supports it. When I look at the system specs, it says my MOBO only supports AGPx1 and AGPx2.

Is there some sort of upgrade I can get for this? Or will I have to consider buying a new computer?

I have included some details to assist with questions raised:

General Info:

Operating System - Windows XP Prof Service Pack 2
CPU - AMD Duron XP, 1300MHz

Motherboard & BIOS:

Name: PCChips M810LR Released 08/06/02
Manufacturer - Elitegroup Computer Systems
Chipset - SiS730S
BIOS Manufacturer - American Megatrends
System BIOS Date - 08/06/2002 S
Video BIOS Date - 05/27/2003

Please feel free to ask me more details.

Thank U in advance.....

I think this is a voltage issue...1x and 2x AGP cards are 3.3 (?) volt and the faster ones are 1.5 volt, so the motherboard can't support the new one; it shouldn't even fit in the socket. Either an older AGP card or a new MB are your options.

Perfesser said:
I think this is a voltage issue...1x and 2x AGP cards are 3.3 (?) volt and the faster ones are 1.5 volt, so the motherboard can't support the new one; it shouldn't even fit in the socket. Either an older AGP card or a new MB are your options.
Yes :)

HelpDisLady

reneirwolf878 said:
My ATI card is 8X, however in the BIOS I can only go upto 4x and that is what I have it set at.
Thank you for Ure help everyone, sorry I've been a bit delayed with my response!! Reneirworlf878, where did u locate the section on ure BIOS settings screen which enabled u to change the settings?

Triple6

Rob
The motherboard has an AGP 4X slot so an AGP 8X card should work.

You will however need to disable to onboard video or change the primary video to the new AGP card.

Here's the manual for your motherboard(applies to M810L and M810LR): http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Do...nual&DetailDesc=M810L(V7.1)&MenuID=45&LanID=0
On page 29 there is an setting for Primary VGA Dsisplay, try setting that to AGP.

PCCHIPS boards lack many settings found in better boards so there may be settings other people have that you don't.

You have to be careful when doing a BIOS flash as it can make your board unbootable. On the otherhand if the alternative is to buy a new motherboard then its worth a try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online