1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with desktop icon labels please!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by issyboo, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. issyboo

issyboo Thread Starter

I've got a bunch of folder icons on my desktop. Their foldernames are pretty long, for organization's sake. The format for their names go "general category, specific description". For example: "Stock Investments, Selling". This means that I've got a bunch starting with "Stock Investments". But since the names are long, they're displayed as "Stock Investmen...". It's annoying because I can't see outright which is Buying, and which is Selling. Is there a way to turn off the way WinXP cuts my foldernames without having to make the font smaller?

Hope someone can help, it's driving me crazy. I'm not quite used to WinXP yet, and I'm starting to want to go back to my Mac. :confused:

2. wahlroot

wahlroot

Right Click the Icon, and scroll down the popup menu, and left click Rename. Then type in the name you like. This will not change where the Icon opens.

3. issyboo

issyboo Thread Starter

Actually what i meant was how I can change the way the name of the folder appears (to appear in full, rather than with the "...") without having to change the folder name...

4. matt-h

matt-h

you could create a desktop wallpaper that is split up into categories and have text saying "stock investment" with a box to contain icons which can now only have the second part.
    i hope that makes sense.
    you can cretae a copy of an existing wallpaper and edit it in a program, wallpapers are found in c/windows/web/wallpaper

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice