1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with distro's for newbie

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mrburmann, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrburmann

mrburmann Thread Starter

Hi, I was wondering what would be the best linux distribution to go for. I currently use Windows XP and want to use Linux for audio work, web browsing and general computing.

And are the Windows emulators reliable?

Cheers

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Try reading the sticky faqs first also before you post make sure what you are about to post doesnt already exist.

3. mrburmann

mrburmann Thread Starter

er whats sticky faqs and could you direct me to the topic I have copied? i cant find it

4. mrburmann

mrburmann Thread Starter

oops, i see the faqs now sorry

5. saikee

saikee

mrburmann,

Don't take iXneonXi seriously. Guys like him and I don't have a clue on which is the best distro so we just load more than one to boot with Windows.

Just remember a Linux needs about 5Gb and so don't allocate all the hard disk space.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

yah i'm not trying to insult or anything. saikee's right i have so many distros i'm really just playing around while leaving windows on. Been meaning to ask you a question tho saikee so i'm goin to send you a PM. I'll say if you are a noobie try MEPIS though because if it works and your hardware is detected and you configure it the way you want, you can then install it to the harddrive. thats why i like live distros. esp mepis.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!