1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! with DMA Bus Mastering

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by looper, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. looper

looper Thread Starter

Hi there;

this is my first post to the site. It's early in the morning and I'm tired, but I'll try to make this lucid. :)

I found some web pages describing how to bus master a hard drive. I primarily used the following link to bus master my hard drive, as the instructions seemed pretty comprehensive:

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/tune-35.htm

First I tested my hard drive for "multiple-word DMA protocol" compatibility via the command prompt. Then I check-marked the option in the Properties window of the hard drive (in Device Manager) and rebooted. The check-mark is still there. So far, so good. The next step, however, I am hesitant to perform, for several reasons.

1. None of the other web sites that described this tweak included this step (which is: editing Mshdc.inf, removing the IDE devices from the Device Manager window, and rebooting).

2. I'm not sure what the 2 lines added to Mshdc.inf do, and as I only enabled DMA on my hard drive, and not on any other drive, I don't know if I should add both lines.

Here is the section of Mshdc.inf that would be edited, with the two lines (in bold) added at the end:

[ESDI_AddReg]
    HKR,,DriverDesc,,"ESDI Port Driver"
    HKR,,DevLoader,,*IOS
    HKR,,PortDriver,,ESDI_506.pdr
    HKR,,IDEDMADrive0,3,01
    HKR,,IDEDMADrive1,3,01

3. I don't know which of my drives are IDE devices, whether controllers are considered devices or not, and whether I should remove other IDE drives from the Device Manager, or just the hard drive. As far as I can see, there are six possibilities for "IDE devices" that I should remove: the floppy disk, the hard disk, the CD Rom, the dual IDE controller, the primary IDE controller, and the secondary IDE controller.

I've attached a snapshot of my Device Manager window, with all the pertinent devices apparent.

What should I do? Is any of this necessary?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice