1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with DNS issue- Have tried EVERYTHING!!!!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ermm23a, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ermm23a

ermm23a Thread Starter

We recently switched to ATT Uverse for internet provider. We have several wireless devices in the house, a toshiba laptop, iphones, kindle and 2 dell laptops. Every single thing is connecting to the internet fine and dandy except for 1 dell laptop. It is connecting to the network, but not the internet saying that the DNS server isn't responding.

I am not a computer expert by any means, but typically I can browse tech forums and figure out how to resolve any issues. I have tried flushing the DNS thingie, going to run and typing in CMD and doing the ipconfig prompts. I have ensured that the DNS settings are set to connect automatically. Nothing has helped. I do not know what to do to fix this. I called ATT tech support and they said it's an issue with that one computer since the other devices in the house are all working properly.

Everything I have found online about fixing this error I have tried, and none of it has worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am almost ready to pull an "office space" and just chunk it out in the yard. It's really starting to make me mad. :mad:

2. ETech7

ETech7

So it actually gets a valid IP from your router, not something like 168.254.xxx.xxx?
    If yes, did you try to set up TCP/IP setting including DNS manually? If not, try that, flush dns again and then see what happens. Try pinging localhost (127.0.0.1). can you browse by IP (http://74.125.226.200/)?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try http://74.125.226.200 (since ETech7's link will bring you to an error rather than Google).

ETech7: You will understand, since we don't know you very well yet, and perhaps even when we do, that posting a link in that format may cause people to be understandably hesitant to click on it. A note on the identification of sites linked to would be most appreciated.

4. ETech7

ETech7

Actually the link is right if it is read by human and not a bot. And it will bring to google's webpage, describing the error, which will confirm that Emily has problems with DNS. And this maybe important if you are trying to troubleshoot...

5. ETech7

ETech7

Probably I should have posted <link removed>

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please refrain from posting unattributed links.

There are not likely any "bots" reading that link, and I'm not even clear on what that means. But the link was malformed and incorrectly edited. The question mark was made part of the link. That it worked at all was coincidence.

7. ETech7

ETech7

Bots, robots, non-conscious human beings - does it really matter how we call it in this case. If somebody were actually reading and comprehending the sentence they'd clearly understand that the link was placed in round brackets and the question sign was a punctuation mark. Nevertheless, there is no
    that it worked, actually that would be wrong if it didn't return any error message from google's servers. Maybe we can check with the web developers of this awesome web site and see what this link http://www.techguy.org/)? will return. It probably will be something like "Invalid Page Specified", but in a case of troubleshooting DNS issues that shouldn't really matter. How we should name the fact that punctuation marks were not recognized but added to the link, I don't know - coincidence or something else.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice