1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with downloading xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by turtle2, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turtle2

turtle2 Thread Starter

I am trying to download xp pro and am as far as the agreement-i press f8 to accept and nothing happens-i have replaced the hard-drive, and keyboard and still nothing. Any ideas what next??? :confused: :confused:

2. TheLord

TheLord

after this process, it checks for available hard disks. anyway, check the hard disk cable if it's connected the right way and properly.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Welcome!

"Downloading"?
    Hope you mean "installing" ...

If you are using a microsoft or similar keyboard, you might have to press the F Lock key (top row of extended keys left hans side) or the F8 key may not be recognaised?

4. turtle2

turtle2 Thread Starter

yes sorry i mean installing-oops-it is late and i am irritated with it!! thanks-will try both ideas

5. turtle2

turtle2 Thread Starter

thanks you are the best!! f-lock key was the problem!!

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Hope you used a good partitioning scheme. ;)

Clean Install XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Example of partitioning an 80Gb drive: (Maxtor Diamondmax 7,200 rev/min with 8Mb drive-cache.)

80Gb (Decimal size) = 80,000,000,000 Bytes , divide by 1024 three times to give the Binary sizing:

78125000 Kb
    76293·95 Mb
    74·51 Gb

(10·0Gb = 10,000,000,000 Bytes (÷ 1024) = 9765625 Kb (÷ 1024) = 9536·74 Mb (÷ 1024) = 9·313 Gb)

Drive C: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) Operating System & Programming. 2000 Min & Max paging file. (2048Mb on the drive.) (Drive Image

Backup to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive D: 10240 Mb (10·0Gb) (My) Documents & Email Folders.
    (Copy Backups to CDRs or Data DVDs)

Drive E: 20480 Mb (20·0Gb) Music only.
    (Drive Image Backup, otherwise original Audio CDs)

Drive F: Remaining Drive Space. Archive, Video, etc.
    (Archive Copy Backup to CDRs & Data DVDs)

Drive F: also has an Automated System Recovery (ASR) BackupC.bkf file for drive C: to use with an ASR floppy.

All drives are partitioned & FULL formatted, directly from the Windows XP CD, to NTFS

(This is for a machine running XP Professional with a 1·0GHz PIII Processor and 768Mb of SDRAM for Paint Shop Professional, NERO Burning 6 and a full Office Suite and using Diskeeper 9 Professional to maintain the four drives.)

Thread on FAT32 vs NTFS and defragmentation of paging file and Master File Tables. (MFTs)

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?p=2329986#post2329986

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice