1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Dual Monitor Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peaker, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Hi all,

Hopefully this will be a simple query.

I'm used to building gaming rigs for people, however I've just been asked to build a rig for somebody to produce music on and he needs a dual monitor setup and obviously to be able to run a seperate app on each monitor.

I'm ok with everything I need including the Sound Card etc. but what I'm not sure about is the dual monitor setup as I've never done this before.

Am I able to get a GCard with dual output and for Win 7 to treat each monitor seperately? If so can anybody recommend a good G/Card? Bearing in mind the gent is limited to a £500 budget for the entire build. My payment will be a case of cider undoubtedly....lol to keep costs low.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Peaker.

2. Robsy128

Robsy128

I recommend getting a dual DVI graphics card. Something along the lines of this:

http://www.pcupgrade.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=5433&categoryid=116

Make sure the drivers are up to date, and make sure the monitors have the correct cabling. Then just plug one monitor into one DVI port each and go into 'Screen Resolution' settings on the desktop. Make sure that the setting there is set to 'Extend Displays' and it should be good :)

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    The majority of graphics cards nowadays will support 2 (or more) monitors, as long as they have two outputs.

If the build isn't going to be used for gaming, and the GPU is only there to provide dual screen support, then I wouldn't spend the £65+VAT in Robsy128 link (personal preference). I would go for somethink like:

HD5450: £21 + delivery

HD6450: £27 + delivery

Note that these cards will struggle with any games really but should be perfectly good enough for Windows / Office / Internet and to provide dual screen support while producing music etc. If they want to play some games, even at low type settings then I would recommend upgrading to a better GPU than I have listed.

4. Robsy128

Robsy128

Oh yeah, don't buy the one I said to unless you're wanting a graphics card that will last you a year or two. If you're just after dual screens, then buy a cheaper one, but make sure that it has two outputs :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice