1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Dual Monitors/ HDMI conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Qwark40k, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Qwark40k

Qwark40k Thread Starter

Hey There. New here and very glad to find this site. Here's hoping someone can give me insight on this problem I'm having.

So I have a very cheap Dell Optiplex 745 I got off amazon. Do some 2d animation, and it was all I could afford when my laptop had a sudden HDD failure. So anyway, the graphics card outputs to a DMS-59 (I believe) and came with a dual Y dongal converter to VGA output to support dual monitors. So my current setup has my monitor connected to the primary VGA output, and it works fine.

So recently I received a Wacom Cintiq graphics tablet. to hook up it requires an HDMI female port. I tried to rig it up using a converter on the secondary VGA port to change to DVI, then use a second converter to go from DVI to HDMI. But all I get on my tablet is "No Input Signal".

I searched around and haven't been able to find anything to help. I tried it in the primary vga port, but it doesn't work there either. Any Ideas? I looked around for a better way to convert DMS-59 to HDMI, and I found a dual splitter, but it only ships from Europe, and I don't want to pay 60 bucks and wait 3 weeks to get something that may not work.

Any tricks you guys might know to try and fix this? Would it be easier to just replace the graphics card with one that exports HDMI? if so any suggestions of a (cheap) one that would fit, and preferably support dual monitors? Would rather not spend much since I'm saving for a new machine that can render a little faster.

Thanks in advance!

bit of system information,

Dell Optiplex 745
    Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)
    Intel Pentium D CPU 3.4 GHZ
    4 GB ram
    ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series display

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    What exactly are you trying to do? The Wacom (unless I'm looking at the wrong model...there are several) is basically an input device, like a keyboard or mouse. It's not a display device like a monitor.

Also, you can't convert VGA (an analog signal) to HDMI (a digital signal) with simple cable gender changers. You will need an active converter.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You cannot go from VGA(analog) to DVI or HDMI(both digital) not without active electronics to do conversions. You can go from DVI-I, which has both analog and digital signals, to VGA and thats what those adapters are for. You can also use an HDMI adapter on a DVI port.

The easiest way to get HDMI is to use a DMS-59 to DVI-I cable/splitter and then use a VGA adapter on one side and an HDMI adapter on the other side.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=dms 59&Submit=ENE

Your second option is to replace the video card with a model that has HDMI plus a VGA or DVI-I port for your monitor.

4. Qwark40k

Qwark40k Thread Starter

the Cintiq model is a drawing pad with HD interface.

/

Thanks I will try that.

5. Qwark40k

Qwark40k Thread Starter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice