1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with ebay items..

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by gotrootdude, Jan 31, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. gotrootdude

gotrootdude Thread Starter

A retired judge friend of mine dropped off several items in order for me to sell on ebay. After one look over the items, I have determined that he has a small fortune or more. I don't know where to go from here..

Example, the first item I looked at is a 16X20 original photograph taken in 1879 of the following individuals.

Asa Pauley
    Frank James (Brother of Jessie James)
    Bob Ford (Member Jessie James Gang)
    Cole Younger (Famous younger brother bank robbers)
    Jessie James !

This is just the first Item I looked at. There's also newspapers in plastic of Japan surrendering. Etc..

It's obvious that if I'm too public with these that a museum will attempt to claim them. It's also obvious that I cannot place these items on ebay without a starting price and appraisal. I've never been in a situation like this, so I'm asking you for help in what to do and what steps to take.

Do I hear any bids?

2. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Give you a hundred somolians for the picture...

[Edit]The picture's probably worth a lot, the newspapers, probably worth $20-$50 or nothing at all. I know old people who have those sorts of things sitting around in their houses all the time. :) [/Edit]

3. gotrootdude

OK, I just got off the phone with State Farm Insurance regional office. Figured they would know where to go since they insure items like this. They gave me the name of an appraiser and also suggested contacting the smithsonian. Quote from Insurance company," If what you have turns out to be authentic, then your looking into big bucks." They said that it needs to go on a specialty auction, not ebay.

Needless to say, I'm excited.. The Judge said he'd split any profit with me. I may be able to pay off my house!

4. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

I need judge friends who split stuff like that with me. :(

5. gotrootdude

Just found.. 1 newspaper - Lee surrenders to Grant, Ralieh NC evacuated (Cincinatti times)
    1 newspaper: The King is Dead (Elvis)
    1 newspaper: John Glen takes off
    1 newspaper: Pope John Paul shot twice.
    1 Newspaper: Germany claims Hitler is dead
    1 Newspaper: Kennedy Assasinated
    1 Newspaper: Normandy Invaded
    And more...

6. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

The only one I would think MIGHT be of any worth is the first one.

The others I've seen in frames, on teacher's walls, etc. All around my little town. The photo sounds valuable though.

7. gotrootdude

8. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Whoa, Good luck....I kept my mouse arrow away from the bid button in case it accidently hit it...HEEE HEEEE....just kidding....I will put you in Watching Items to see how it goes......

9. gotrootdude

I haven't had time to get it properly appraised yet. Other photos of Jessie James had been appraised around $40,000-$80,000 so I just put it up seeing what would happen. If it sells, great, if it doesn't, fine.. Have to wait and see.

I like the way Jessie has his hat cocked. Gotta get me a hat like that.. :cool:

10. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

If it sells, you will have made in one auction a little more than I've done in almost 5 years of selling on ebay.......

11. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I got a hat just like that. Wanna trade? :D All joking aside thats great stuff and I wish you luck with the sale. I'm going to keep my eyes on this thread out of curiosity.

12. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
  13. gotrootdude

Yeah, I already checked the value of the old papers. Not worth much, but good for historical value. May stick them in the attic for awhile..

This photo is really strange. I won't take it out of the frame out of fear of damaging it, but if the description is correct, the picture's kind of a impossibility. There's no doubt that the people in the photo are the people the description states, but supposedly, Cole Younger was in prison until 1901. So I took the date off the auction until I can figure out when it was taken.

14. izme

izme

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice