Help with Excel XP 2002 column headings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lminassiankiefel

My 2002 version of XP Excel has changed the set column headings from letters to numbers. For example, cell "A1" is indicated by a "1" for the row and a "1" for the column and when I click on the cell, it is designated as "R1C1". I would like to get the letter column headings back as the program was originally designed but I cannot figure out how to do this. I have no idea why the set column headings changed to numbers. Does anyone know how to get back the letter designations for the column headings and know why it changed to begin with? Could it have changed because of a virus or because I downloaded the patch to be able to read MS Excel 2007 files?

Thanks.

WendyM

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi, welcome to TSG. I don't know what caused it, but to change it back you can go to Tools/Options and select the General tab. The first checkbox should say "R1C1 reference style". Uncheck the box and select OK, and it should return to normal. Hope that helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online