1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with External Monitor and External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brohdaw, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brohdaw

brohdaw Thread Starter

I'm not sure if I should have put this in "Hardware" or not so...
    I am, by far, a professional at this so hang in there with me if I confuse you. A few months ago my children broke the screen on my laptop and for a few weeks I was trying to use the External Monitor so it would show up on a monitor my sister gave me. Well I finally got that up and working however, now when I connect my external hard drive to the laptop, it will not show up on the desktop monitor. (The external hard drive is Western Digital).

This external monitor is a new thing for me, actually I knew you could do it but didn't try it as an option until my nephew - who is much younger than me - thought of it lol. Anyway, I have pictures and such on my external hard drive that were put onto the external by the very laptop I am using. I'm not totally sure of the montior I am using, all I can tell you at the moment is it's a Dell. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A135 S266; the laptop has Vista Home Basic (32 bit) and I believe the desktop monitor is running with Vista too but I'm not sure if that's important since it is only serving as a "view." Anyway, I would love some help with why the drive may not be working with this set up.

Thanks,
    Kerri

2. little den

little den

This may seem like a silly question, have you tried the HD on another PC to see if the issue is with that?
    Also, are you saying it's not showing up in 'My Computer', or are you not getting the option to open files?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice