1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with file wiper

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by eightup1, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eightup1

eightup1 Thread Starter

does anyone know of a file wipeing utillitie ... specifically one that wipes free space and temp files , that actually works .

I have used many free trials including [email protected] R-Wipe+clean and some others and all leave thousands of jpgs in good condition and recoverable . on my C:\ drive

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. eightup1

eightup1 Thread Starter

installed eraser ....... ran all night long .... it said [failed ] to every file it had listed ......but i'll try again when i have time

4. eightup1

eightup1 Thread Starter

used both suggestions repeatedly ........... both left around 3000. jpg's recoverable on my drive ..... i don't think they make a program that will actually cover all your Internet trax

5. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

One of my old favorites is Window Washer . Try it for 30 days and then buy , or google " window washer version 4.8 " which doesn`t leave a footprint so it can be re-installed again and again unlike the version i posted the link to .

6. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

That's weird.What do you mean by recoverable.Did you use a file undelete software to test that?Eraser has the option of using the guttman method and at 35 passes I find it hard to beleive there is anything recoverable after that. If you can prove that after using the guttman method you can still recover any portion of the file on your drive then I'm sure thousands of people who trust these file shredders to delete data beyond recovery would like to know. If you mean that the files were not even deleted by eraser but left on your computer in whatever folder they were in originally, then you can't be using the software properly.

7. PJamz

PJamz

I wasted lots of money on one thing programs. I like a program that you can buy that will do all the things you need in one pkg. for a lot less money in the long run. My choice would be to you System Machanics at www.iolo.com....... I use the Machanics 4 and heard they came out w/5 now. But if its more money and the 4 is still avalible that is all you need for most of your tools. $$ its all about savings

8. eightup1

eightup1 Thread Starter

i have used these utilities to wipe the free space and all temp folders on my drive with DOD method [ 7 times overwrite i believe ] ... tuneup utilities 2004 undelete still finds thousands of files in a internet explorer temp folder.
    actually .... the folder that it specifies , does not exist .. at least that i can find .... it looks like a hidden folder .......... i have my folder settings set to show hidden files and folders , and still cannot find this folder ........ but if i use TU2004 to restore any of the files to another place on my drive i can go to it and some are still restoreable. it's not really a big deal ... i dont have anything on my computer that i wouldn't want found ... but if i did , i want to be able to get rid of it .

the folder that i can not find is C:\Documents And Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temporary internet Files\Content.IE5\"random numbers here"

by the way .. all of the programs i have used will completely erase any file you specify .... but when used to erase free space [ old files deleted by the normal method ] they all have left these files in the directorie i specified

9. eightup1

eightup1 Thread Starter

system scrubber at the url you suggessted ony COMPLETELY WIPES your drive of all info ... does not allow you to select which files you want to delete

10. PJamz

PJamz

I sort of have the same type of problem I think , I know that there are two compressed files on my 0 sector that loads each time I have to recover. On my new computer I have had 9 months of security issues and I can't seem to remove that file or find it after scrub. which I feel maybe the where my problems stem from. Are you by any chance using the Symantec Ghost by Norton?

11. PJamz

PJamz

12. eightup1

eightup1 Thread Starter

God no ... no symantec product will ever be in any computer i ever own again ... thirteen years of problems , till i figured out they were all caused by norton . i now use avg and tuneup utilities 2004 to maintain my registry ....

but you did just give ne a good idea .... maybe i should turn off system restore before doing the wipe .

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice