Help with Forwarding Rules in Outlook 2016 (Pop email)

ozegirl

Some help/advice required with creating some rules in Outlook (Outlook 2016, part of Office 365).

Using Windows 10, and POP email. Hope that suffices, didn't see the need to download the utility for this...

So let’s say I have User 1 and User 2.

Currently User 1 has a rule that everything they send is copied to User 2, except for things they send directly to User 2.

User 2 has a rule that everything they send is copied to user 1, except for things they send directly to User 1.

Now I want a rule that everything received by User 1 is copied (not forwarded) to User 2, except for things received from User 2.

I tried setting it up in Rules by nominating the account, selecting forward to User 2, also to move a copy to the inbox (as I wasn’t certain if forwarding would just forward the email or copy it), and then selected “except if received from user2”. It didn’t work, but I think I know why. I used a specified date range and I thought that “after” included the first date, so that “after Monday” and “before Tuesday” would mean Monday only, but on reflection, I suppose it should have been “after Sunday and before Tuesday”…. Might seem obvious, but I have used things like that before where the first date is included… so I can try it again.

However, I have a further problem. As I said, what I want to do is forward the email to User 2 unless the email comes from User 2…but I also want a copy in User 1’s inbox. My concern is that whereas I want the exception only to apply to the forwarding aspect, that if the exception applies to both the forwarding and the copy going to the inbox, then that means any or all emails from user 2 will not be received…. Whereas all I want to do is prevent User 2’s inbound emails to User 1 being forwarded back to them.

I also wondered whether the rule for User 1 to copy everything they send to User 2 except for things sent to User 2 would conflict with the rule trying to forward emails to User 2 except for things received from User 2?

How do I get around this?

Please do not suggest IMAP or exchange server etc… or altering webmail settings as I cannot customize to forward email on the web server with exceptions.

I have also considered setting up User 1’s account on User 2’s computer, but there are some other issues with this. It may be a last resort if I can’t get a rule that works.

ozegirl

So I have come up with a few answers myself.

First, I found out that the rule to forward is a copy and forward rule, so no need to copy the email to the inbox, which was very helpful.

Secondly, I could add the exception not to forward anything to User 2 which came from user 2 as I now did not have to worry about the copy to inbox being part of that exception.

So I set up a forward to User 2 except if coming from User 2. I made this the first rule, and I put a stop processing on it, so that for incoming emails, no further rules would be processed.

I kept the copy to User 2 rule, and put it second. I did this so that anything User 1 sent out and copied to User 1 would not also be forwarded….as the forwarding rule only applied to incoming email.

However when I attempted to do this an error came up saying there was a conflict with a server based rule. (There is also an out-of-office response on the server for when User 1 is away).

In the end, I realized that I could just turn on the incoming email rule when User 1 was away, with the copy rule off, and vice versa when User 1 was working. Regardless of the error message, it all seems to work in that incoming email is forwarded from User 1 to User 2 without them getting everything they send out being forwarded back to them from User 1. Other recipients get the out-of-office response as well.

The only problem I have now is that some people DESPITE the out-of-office telling them that their email has been forwarded to User 1, still then resend their email to User 2, and CC User 1 in it for good measure! This means that User 2 gets the original email forwarded, their own copy of the email, and the CC to User 1 forwarded as well! If only people would read……

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online