Help with front USB connectors, Please?!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shadow98fl

I'm trying to hook up front USB wires from cheiftec case to Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard.
Here's what I have:
Chieftec wires:
(1) +5v (2) +5v
(1) -D (2) -D
(1) +D (2) +D
(1) GROUND (brown) (2) GROUND (black)
(1) GROUND (blue + gray)

Asus header:
+5v +5v
-P5 -P6 <am assuming ="-D"
+P5 +P6 <am assuming ="+D"
GND GND
NC
(1) (2)
I believe I understand the connections up until the 2 different grounds on leg 1, which of the two grounds on 1 do I leave not connected- the single brown, or the ground that has both blue & gray wire? OR do I hook one of those grounds to the "NC" on the mb? (and if so, which one?)

I'm positive you don't need to connect the extra ground wire. The extra pin is so you cant connect a grouped connector the wrong way around. Mine doesn't even have a wire that would connect there, just the four wires per USB port. And you're right about the rest of the connections, give 'er!

shadow98fl

Kronus- thanks! which is the extra ground though? The single wire (brown) ground, or the double wire (blue & gray) ground?

Blue and grey is extra. My logic goes: All the other wires are a solid colour, therefore, see the first sentence. It's unfortunate case manufacturers don't use a colour coding scheme for such connections, they do label the contacts. You might as well hook that blue/grey up to the NC contact, just to keep things tidy.

shadow98fl

Thanks, Kronus! Believe it or not, the firewire connections were a breeze compared to the usb!

shadow98fl

Basically same thing as usb connections, only no extra grounds or anything to drive you crazy! I thought the firewire would be much harder to hook up. Six wires- that's it. Went to chieftec, and they had diagram. They had diagram on usb too, but neither them or Asus said anything about the extra ground on usb.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online