1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Gateway GT5014 Desktop Computer

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Crammit, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crammit

Crammit Thread Starter

Gateway GT5014 Desktop Computer
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) D CPU 2.8 GHz
    2.80 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

Hello, thank you in advance for your time and help you may be able to provide. I have used this website a couple times to help fix up my computer and now my dads computer has been acting up and im going to break it down as best i can for what has happened and what i have done so far.

First off my dads girlfriends kids downloaded a bunch of games and stuff on the computer after they had moved in together and the computer started slowing down. After so long of this the adware began to show on start up and then the computer started freezing after being on for 2 - 10 minutes

So i started trying to work on it, first thing was removing things from startup that should not have been there, and removed multiple anti-virus and misc. programs via safemode/add remove prgrams. I have used Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and ATF-Cleaner.exe, also one anti-virus i had been able to use was avira(free) i did a scan with that and removed what was found, if i remember correctly it had about 45 detections. i used secunia to update the neccessary programs and i know ive done one or two more things cant really remember as this has all happend over the spand of a month of me being able to get out here on the weekends and mess around with the computer for a bit.

now to my current problem, there is a redirecting problem... when you go on internet explorer and use google/yahoo ect > search for something/webpage and click on the link provided it redirects you through like 3 websites really fast and you end up on what appears to be a 3rd party search engine
    also the computer seems to run fine except for the fact that norton 360 v4 wont install correctly(my dad has a laptop upstairs he bought norton on and they allow him to put norton on up to two more computers) we donwloaded and installed norton on the desktop which i am currently using but the program says the subscription is expired, when in realty he has another 300+ days of the subscription... i contacted norton about this and they said to clear the computer of any remaining viruses bedfor the program can insall correctly..

i may be missing some things that ive done or are current problems, i am in a rush right now i appreciate any help and am sorry if this is not in the right thread haha.. but thank you anyways much appreciated

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice