Help with Geriatric Win2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tamilynn63

looking at a friends rather pc which is running windows 2000 and minimal memory...32....told her to get a better pc instead of this one that is a hand me down. question is this: simply opening the control panel takes long...what is needed to run at start up? (msconfig doesn't run on win 2000 or not this one, so where do I go to remove unecessary startup items?) and what is best possible temporary solution until she gets a new one? most important to her is just accessing web and just surfing so how much can be stripped from it?

thanks

The question should be Tammi, "What do I add" not what do i strip.
Crank the memory up to at least 128mb
What's the processor size?
I run XP Pro on a 233mhz with 128mb of ram and admittedly it's slow but not slow enough that I can't live with it.
Try clearing out the temp internet files
Defrag more than once a year,(being flippant there sorry)
There should be no reason why your mate is not whistleing down the highway like the proverbial happy clam.

Wolfey

crjdriver

Win2k loads apps from either the registry or the startup folder. Here is a list of the registry keys that can load apps.
Note you may not have all of these keys; that is normal.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

I agree; 32 meg is not enough to run win2k. With the price of most ram so cheap, I would install 256 of ram. Check the manual for the system or open the case and see what type of ram it uses. Hopefully it will use the 168 pin sd ram. If it uses the older type, then prices are higher.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online