help with hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ssjjfar

i need to back up my entire hard drive, and i bought a 80 GB Western Digital Dual-Option External USB Harddrive.
I used the cd that game with it and installed it, but i cant get my computer to access to harddrive. When i first plugged after i installed the cd and rebooted, windows detected a new hardware and went and searched for driver, it could find one, and the program that came with the HD (retrospect express) doesnt see the hard drive, or my computer. I searched online for the driver file and installed that but still i get the same problem. it shows up on task menu for unplug or eject hardware, and is listed as Hard Drive, but i cant use it for anything.

I'm on a dell PC, running windows ME

Ok, I 'think' this works on ME...you will need to format the hard drive before you can use it. Right click on My Computer, and then click 'Manage', then in the window that opens, click on 'Disk manager'. In there (with the new drive plugged in of course), you should see all drives connected to the system. Simply right click on the graphical disk section for your removable unit, and click 'Format'. It will then ask you about partitions etc etc....easy from there.

Scorp.

ssjjfar

when i right click on My computer there is no manage option
there is

Open
Explore
Search
Map Network Drive
Disconnect Network drive

and creat shortcut, rename, properties

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
From a command prompt (DOS window), type FDISK. The external hard disk should show up. You can create a partition, I recommend an extended partition. After the partition is created, you can create a logical drive and format it. Reboot, and the drive should appear in My Computer.

ssjjfar

when using Fdisk, i beleive it only sees the internal C: hard drive. is says on top current fixed disk drive:1. and i tried doing the extended partition and it said No Space to create a DOS partition

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Open Device Manager and see if the drive is recognized by the system. It sounds like the drive is not actually connecting correctly.

ssjjfar

in device manager it list the drive there under Storage Deivces, as USB Disk, but theres a ! over the icon of it, it says the device is either not present or does not have all the proper drivers installed
and when its pluged in windows seems to recognize it because the safetly unplug/eject hardware comes up in task bar.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online