1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tinker4fun, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tinker4fun

Tinker4fun Thread Starter

I just got a tower from a family member that just passed away. I hooked it up to my monitor but it gave me and error:

Error allocation men bar for pci device
    unsupported video connection

Tower had VGA and DVI ports
    Monitor had only VGA

Question: How (if possible) can i get the tower settings to use the vga port and not the dvi port without wiping it clean? Or do i just need to buy the adapter?

And i have 2 keyboard with the original port but the new tower doesn't have the standard keyboard port....suggestions?

2. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

As soon as you turn it on, does it give you that message? Or do you see white writing? If you see the white writing, do you see something about "Hit F2 (or Del) to enter setup"? Inside the BIOS, you can change the video settings to specify what to use (DVI or VGA) as default. Most PCs should auto detect this, but you can try that first.

What do you mean by original port? Do you mean the round (PS/2) port? The new tower probably only has USB. You can either get an adapter that goes from PS/2 to USB or just buy a new USB keyboard at Wal-Mart for about the same price or maybe cheaper than the adapter.

3. Tinker4fun

the message is in white writing and in the message it does not say anything about hit this key or that i know i had looked for it thats what threw me. i was reading up on the internet and it said if it had a dvi port that the vga port would automatically shut down but i have both ports on my original dell and i use the vga port. Ok thanks on the keyboard i was just trying to do the cheaper route. :)

4. Mavrick88

Mavrick88

So it goes straight to the message as soon as it's turned on? Do you hear a "beep" when the PC is turned on?

It should auto detect either port. As soon as you turn it on, try hitting F2 and Del back and forth and see if you can get into the BIOS setup. If you can, you can try to change the monitor there. If not, ask some friends if you can take the PC to their house if they have one with DVI and see if you can get into the BIOS to change the default video source. It really should auto detect, but all PCs are different (even the same models :) ).

5. Tinker4fun

Yes it does beep. So hit F2, Del, F2, Del? So even though it has both i should be able to use either one. Thanks sooo much for all your help!!!!!!!!!! Truly Appreciate it!!!!!!!!! :D

6. Tinker4fun

if i do option #2 to get in to the BIOS setup just go into the control panel?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice