1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with HJT Log and Scan report after removing Smitfraud

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by astro99, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astro99

astro99 Thread Starter

I followed the procedure recommended by noadhfear to get rid of Smitfraud. It seemed to have worked for the most part, but a couple of days before I did it, I started having trouble with Internet Explorer, so I was not able to run the ActiveScan.
    When I run IE, it will work for a very short while and then just stop and all of the IE windows are gone and a message comes up saying something like "An error has occured and an error log will be generated" - although I can't find the error log.

I have included the report from HJT and from Ewido. Please check over these and let me know what needs to be removed and if there is any sign of why IE is not running properly.

Thanks.
    Astro99

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 11:21:05 PM, on 8/24/2005
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP1 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 SP1 (5.00.2920.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINNT\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\DirectCD\directcd.exe
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cmlink.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\EASYCD~1\CreateCD\createcd.exe
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cshtdwn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Greetings Workshop\GWREMIND.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\msoffice.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\MsgSys.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\Documents and Settings\tomw\My Documents\hjt\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdsg.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\DirectCD\directcd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3c1807pd] C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cmlink.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-3c1807pd
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Compliant] winole.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSN Messenger] C:\WINNT\System32\msmsgs.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [time] time.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreateCD] C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\EASYCD~1\CreateCD\createcd.exe -r
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows Compliant] winole.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [time] time.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [time] time.exe
    O4 - Startup: Greetings Workshop Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Greetings Workshop\GWREMIND.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C0AA29CB-D421-44ED-A878-6CEF0D24B6A6} - (no file) (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C0AA29CB-D421-44ED-A878-6CEF0D24B6A6} - (no file) (HKCU)
    O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{97C160D0-4A79-4649-922E-FB76DC1DFC46}: NameServer = 209.244.0.3 209.244.0.4
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINNT\System32\NavLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
    O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe

---------------------------------------------------------
    ewido security suite - Scan report
    ---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 1:25:00 AM, 8/24/2005
    + Report-Checksum: 16095E07

+ Scan result:

C:\Documents and Settings\lij\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\89IZ4PQF\Params[1].htm -> Spyware.BookedSpace : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\wahltj\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Doubleclick : Cleaned with backup
    C:\Documents and Settings\yoosw\Cookies\[email protected] -> Spyware.Cookie.Track-star : Cleaned with backup
    C:\WINNT\system32\AWM226.exe -> Dialer.Generic : Cleaned with backup
    C:\WINNT\system32\oleadm.dll -> Trojan.Agent.eq : Cleaned with backup
    C:\WINNT\system32\oleext.dll -> Trojan.Small.ev : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

2. Sponsor

3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

There are still some remnants left...

Download KillBox here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
    Save it to your desktop.
    DO NOT run it yet.

With IE closed, run Hijack This again.
    Put a checkmark on these entries and hit "fix checked":

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Compliant] winole.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSN Messenger] C:\WINNT\System32\msmsgs.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [time] time.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Windows Compliant] winole.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [time] time.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [time] time.exe

O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C0AA29CB-D421-44ED-A878-6CEF0D24B6A6} - (no file) (HKCU)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper - {C0AA29CB-D421-44ED-A878-6CEF0D24B6A6} - (no file) (HKCU)

Boot into Safe Mode (start tapping the F8 key at Startup, before the Windows logo screen)

Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it.
    Now put a tick by Standard File Kill.
    In the "Full Path of File to Delete" box, copy and paste each of the following lines one at a time then click on the button that has the red circle with the X in the middle after you enter each file.
    It will ask for confimation to delete the file.
    Click Yes.
    Continue with that same procedure until you have copied and pasted all of these in the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box.

C:\WINNT\System32\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\winole.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\time.exe

Note: It is possible that Killbox will tell you that one or more files do not exist.
    If that happens, just continue on with all the files. Be sure you don't miss any.

Exit the KillBox.

Also in safe mode navigate to the C:\WINNT\Temp folder.
    Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Go to Start > Run and type %temp% in the Run box.
    The Temp folder will open. Click Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options.
    On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files".
    Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK.
    Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button.
    Click Apply then OK.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Reboot, post a new log.

4. astro99

astro99 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.

I did what you suggested: deleted the files with HJT, and ran KillBox (the files were not present just as you suspected), and deleted the files from the temp directories as instructed. The log for the new HJT is included below.

I then tried to run IE again and it still did not work. The message it gave was:
    "iexplorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I don't know where the error log might be.

Is there something else to try? Thanks.

Astro99

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 11:42:01 PM, on 8/29/2005
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP1 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.00 SP1 (5.00.2920.0000)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\DirectCD\directcd.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\EASYCD~1\CreateCD\createcd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cshtdwn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Greetings Workshop\GWREMIND.EXE
    C:\WINNT\System32\MsgSys.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\msoffice.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\tomw\My Documents\hjt\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdsg.dll
    O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\Program Files\NavNT\vptray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\DirectCD\directcd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [3c1807pd] C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\3cmlink.exe RunServices \Device\3cpipe-3c1807pd
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreateCD] C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\EASYCD~1\CreateCD\createcd.exe -r
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
    O4 - Startup: Greetings Workshop Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Greetings Workshop\GWREMIND.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 4.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~2\tools\iesdpb.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mpeg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINNT\System32\NavLogon.dll
    O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\defwatch.exe
    O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINNT\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\NavNT\rtvscan.exe

5. Cheeseball81

I would try the IEFix: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

If you can get IE to work properly after that, I highly recommend that you go to Windows Update and install all "Critical Updates and Service Packs" ASAP! This will patch numerous security holes in IE and Windows. Many baddies get on your machine by taking advantage of these vulnerabilities. As your machine stands now it is wide open to attack from all sorts of nasties. You need to get these updates IMMEDIATELY!

6. astro99

astro99 Thread Starter

I ran the IEFix but I did not have the disks for the OS. My computer came with ME, but 2000 was loaded on it at work. I bought it from work and they sent along the ME CD's. I don't know if I could use those disks for the IE repair. Please advise - this is all new to me and I was hesitant to try something that might cause trouble.

Thanks.
    Astro99

7. Cheeseball81

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/394656