1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with identifying these temp files

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by aldiboronti, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aldiboronti

aldiboronti Thread Starter

For the last few months I've noticed that my Temporary folder is filling with ~df files, that is, small files with names such as ~df7958, ~df8aa8, ~dfddba, etc. They're all sized between 2k and 8k and I can't glean much from opening them, it's usually meaningless (to me) garble, although strangely one did have some readable text from my internet home page, a word forum. They seem to be created once or twice a day, and I have to delete them myself, all but the ones with a current date as these refuse to be deleted until the next day.

I've run my AGV antivirus, Hijack This, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy and Swatit Trojan Finder but they all give me a clean bill of health.

Any ideas as to what these files are? My computer is running fine, so I don't think they're harmful. I'd just like to know what they are.

2. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

You can safely delete the contents of the C:\Windows\Cookies; Temp and Temporary Internet Files at any time. A good way is in Safe Mode.

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

4. aldiboronti

aldiboronti Thread Starter

You hit the nail on the head, virtualme! Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice