1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with installing a GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nemca, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nemca

Nemca Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

I have purchased A Sapphire RX 580 4G, however, I am not sure if I got the right PCI cables with it. The end with 8-pin that goes in the GPU is fine (it fits) but on the other end there are two 4-pin connectors. One actually has 3 pins in it and the other one only 2. These are also too short to connect to the motherboard. So if I got the right cables, I guess I should get an extension for these two 4-pin connectors that go into the motherboard? If so, could I get any cable that fits or it actually matters what kind it is?

Moreover, another cable that goes from my power supply to the motherboard becomes too short when I have the GPU in the socket. So the same question here, do I get any extension cable for it or does it have to be a specific one?

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should have a pw supply that has the correct 6pin or 8pin connectors for a video card. What you have in the pic is an adapter for a molex to pci connector.
    If your pw supply does not have the correct connectors, you are just asking for a problem. A 580 is a pretty pw hungry card and if you are using a pw supply from a hp, dell, etc, that will lead to problems.

Nemca likes this.
  3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

In your pic, those are called molex power plugs. They don't go to a GPU. You need as crjdriver points out, a 6/8 pin PCIe cable from you PSU to connect to your GPU.

What are all your complete system hardware specs?

4. Nemca

Nemca Thread Starter

I5 6600 CPU, H110M PLUS D3 motherboard, Samsung SSD 850 SSD 120 GB (no HDD), RX 580 4G (on the picture).

5. Blu_86

Blu_86

All you need to do is connect the female molex ends from your power supply unit to the male molex ends of that adapter. I know that adapter comes with the card because I have installed 4 of those cards 2 8GB models and 2 4GB models. Easy, but do be aware that an RX 580 needs a decent quality made 550W or better power supply for good clean power especially on the +12v rail.

Note: before you do that please check the power supply you have it may already have the connections you are looking for - which would be a PCIe (not PCI) 6/8 pin powe connector for your GPU (graphics power unit). Also note, nothing goes "into your motherboard" other than the obvious physical card itself into the PCIe slot. Is just straight from your power supply to your GPU. That's it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice