1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help With Installing Os

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shirley Barker, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirley Barker

Shirley Barker Thread Starter

I have a friend who installed win xp on her laptop (it had win 2000 professional on it and had some kind of blue screen error and would not start) Anyway when she went to activate it is states that she has the wrong product key. She no longer has the winxp cd and is considering purchasing one. So my question is, can she just get another win xp cd and start over?

2. KingCody

KingCody

yes, that will always work

if she can prove that shelegally owns a genuine copy, she can talk to a microsoft rep to get another product key,microsoft XP installation support

3. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Shirley, in many cases laptops run operating systems that have reduced size, specially "leaned" for that particular operation and application.

It would be in her interest to enquire to the manufacturer of the machine as to which operating systems and versions might be suggested.

As you would be aware there are numerous versions of W-XP.

Blue screens are often caused by hard drive problems, so testing would be an idea..

If she wanted a simple operating system for interim general common use I would suggest trying this Puppy Linux, it is a free system that would probably load OK. It includes all programs. I has substantial benefits over other systems security wise.
    You can obtain it here. http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
    It makes a bootable CD. The file you would require is Puppy Linux, Version 1.0.7 Mozilla, approximately 63 megs. This is an ISO file that needs a different burning technique to create a bootable CD.
    There is a minor learning curve required, the system feels similar to W-95.
    This system initially loads into memory, then onto the hard drive if required.
    I haven't loaded it onto a laptop so far, but would be interested to see if there were any problems doing it.
    Cheers, qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice