1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! With installing WinXP on a new system.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FallenOne, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FallenOne

FallenOne Thread Starter

Hey all,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with installing a copy of windows on the new rig that I just built. I didn't know where else to post this, but I think it's a harware problem, so hopefully someone in here can help me.

I am trying to get WinXP Pro on. The new computer looks like this:
    ASARock 939Dual-SATA2 MB
    AMD Athlon64 3500+ CPU
    WesterDigital 7200 WD800JD 80Gb HDD
    Aspire ATX-AS520W PSU
    NEC ND-3550A Drive
    1Gig Corsair DDR-400 Ram

Everything works great, the BIOS comes up fine and I get an A-OK POST. The BIOS detects all the hardware in the order that I want it, and all the settings look good.

My Problem is that when I put my windows install CD in the drive and boot up, it tells me to "Reboot and select the proper boot device - or insert boot media into the selected device and press any key."
    I try to reboot, and select the drive - it brings me back to the same screen with the same message. I try to press a key, gives me the same thing. I looked at my BIOS and checked the settings, checked to see if the disk was fine in my other PC; all were good. No matter what I try, it gives me this screen and won't let me work with any kind of DOS or basic utility so I can tell it to run the CD drive. I can hear the CD drive working when I select it at startup, it just stops after a little while and gives me that message and nothing else.

Overall, this is probably just something stupid that I am missing, so hopefully you guys can help me out.
    Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. GripS

GripS

Assuming you have set the BIOS to boot from CD or DVD first, i'd say you have a bad install disk or the optical drive is failing. You might try cleaning the disk surface and using a CD/DVD rom cleaning disk.

3. SacsTC

SacsTC

First, make sure that the drive is hooked to the bottom sata connector. Sata controller is set to enabled by default. Set sata operation mode in bios to non raid. Set boot device to cd-rom (or whatever cd device is in your machine) floppy then hd. Re-boot with cd installed, you will see a screen that states "to boot from cd hit any key" go from there.

4. FallenOne

FallenOne Thread Starter

I am set to boot by my DVD drive as primary, the install disk works fine in my other computer, so I don't think that is teh problem. I stuck a drive cleaner in the DVD drive, and tried that, but it didn't help any.
    I am connected to the bottom SATA connector on the MB, and I am set to non-RAID in the BIOS.

Now here's my dumb question, how do you set the SATA controller to enabled by default?

Sorry, I'm kind of new to this whole thing, but thanks for all of your help guys.

5. SacsTC

SacsTC

In the advanced tab, SATA should be set to enabled, SATA Op mode non-raid.

6. FallenOne

FallenOne Thread Starter

I did everything you said, but my machine still gives me the same message, it won't let me access anything that will allow me to run the CD that is in.
    If you guys have any more suggestions that would be very helpful!
    Thanks!

7. GripS

GripS

Is this a retail version of windows xp pro or is it a restore disk from a mass produced pc company like Dell or Gateway?

8. FallenOne

FallenOne Thread Starter

it's retail, it's not designed specifically for my other PC.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice