1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with internet explorer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pointman_12, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pointman_12

pointman_12 Thread Starter

i'm using ie6 patched...every time i close out an ie window, i get the fatal error box saying ie caused a fatal error...i uninstalled the patch and reinstalled ie6 and updated it with the patches from microsoft and still get the error...anyone have an idea how to fix this problem...i'm running w98se...

2. mobo

mobo

If you are using 98 and internet explorer6 then go to add/remove programs , select internet explorer form the list then select remove. That should bring up the option to repair. Select it and reboot when complete.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Also give us a copy/paste of a HijackThis Scanlog...

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

And can you provide the full, exact error message -- is this a "blue screen" fatal exception? I've never seen one referencing Internet Explorer specifically.

4. pointman_12

i'll have to wait until i get home to use that software...the title on the box is iexplore...in the box it says this: IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll

i use several adaware checkers, run a za/pro and nod32 anitvirus...

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Kernel32 errors are almost always caused by software conflicts rather than inherent problems with IE itself. So something there is probably getting in the way. Usually this is spy or adware doing something when the page is closed, but sometimes legitimate applications such as antivirus programs can do it also.

But by all means give the IE Repair Tool a run; sometimes misregistered or incompatible dlls can still be found and fixed.

It should help to have a look at the Scanlog.

6. pointman_12

i will try that...and try that program...thanks for the help...

7. pointman_12

repairing it seemed to work...then i closed out an ie window and got it again...here is the text file...i attached it and also displayed it here...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 9:01:53 PM, on 9/30/03
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ESET\NOD32KRN.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ESET\NOD32KUI.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZAPRO.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\DESKTOP ARCHITECT\DATRAY.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ANALOGX\POW\POW.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ID-BLASTER PLUS\IDBLASTERPLUS.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MRU-BLASTER\SCHEDULER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\PESTPATROL\PPUPDATER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\MY DOCUMENTS\MY STUFF\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\windows\googletoolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll
    O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\windows\googletoolbar_en_2.0.95-deleon.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PestPatrol Control Center] C:\Program Files\PestPatrol\PPControl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe /WAITSERVICE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zapro.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PPMemCheck] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\PPMemCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CookiePatrol] C:\PROGRA~1\PESTPA~1\CookiePatrol.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NOD32kernel] C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Desktop Architect] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\DESKTOP ARCHITECT\DATRAY.EXE" -S
    O4 - Startup: POW.lnk = C:\Program Files\AnalogX\POW\pow.exe
    O4 - Startup: ID blaster.lnk = C:\Program Files\ID-Blaster Plus\idblasterplus.exe
    O4 - Startup: MRU-Blaster Scheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\MRU-Blaster\scheduler.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR_EN_2.0.95-DELEON.DLL/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR_EN_2.0.95-DELEON.DLL/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR_EN_2.0.95-DELEON.DLL/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR_EN_2.0.95-DELEON.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\GOOGLETOOLBAR_EN_2.0.95-DELEON.DLL/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'imon.dll' missing
    O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37870.7083796296

Attached Files:

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well I don't see any "malware" there. It might be Taskmonitor faulting, or any of a number of other programs.

I would run msconfig and under the Startup tab Uncheck all but the following for testing:

ScanRegistry
    Systray
    LoadPowerProfiles
    Point32.exe
    Zapro.exe

Carefull what you do as you will be without Antivirus protection. If the error does not occur in this configuration, recheck your antivirus apps first and see if it starts. Continue to reenable applications until you isolate the culprit.

You do have this issue in the Scanlog:

O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'imon.dll' missing.

You may be able to "fix" that with HijackThis, but a better method is to download the lspfix program from the site below, move the protocol into the "Remove" window and indicate you "know what you are doing"

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

9. pointman_12

the imon.dll is associated with nod32...i'm emailing them now to see how many of dll's there are suppose to be...there is one in my c:\windows\system file and one in the eset/nod32 file...they were both created the same day so i would tend to think they are ok...i did use google to search imon.dll and found a couple of sites...

this one on the google search page, the way it looks to be numbered, looks like it came from a log file (maybe hijackthis)

TweakXP.com - Support Forum
    ... O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM) O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
    O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'imon.dll' missing O16 ...

if you go to the page, you get this...

http://tweakxp.com/hostsfix.htm

anyway, i'll try what you suggested and wait to hear from nod32 support...i'm not a total idiot (no cracks...hehehe) but this is driving me crazy

10. pointman_12

what's really driving me crazy is i can close some windows and i won't get the error box...but most of the time, it comes up...the last one it was a fault in rpcrt.dll that caused it...maybe i need to backup my stuff and reinstall windows...

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have a copy of that dll in c:\windows\system and it is associated with your antivirus then HijackThis is just not detecting it properly, ignore the "broken internet access" message.

If your error in rpcrt.dll is similar to this one, let's try the same resolutions:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/r1058738384

You've already done IE Repair. Try also independently registering urlmon.dll.

Start, run, enter:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

the mcrepair patch installs a compatible set of ole files.

Problems with the oleaut32.dll have been common with upgrades to IE 6. Another possiblilty is to restore that using the System File Checker (SFC)

12. raybro

raybro

Controversial point here, but I have, too, have had problems such as you describe with the Win98/OE6 combination. I reverted to IE5.5 SP2 and have not had any problems since. Just my 2ยข worth.

BTW.. I recentely started using MyIE2 alternate browser and it works even better. Lots of graet faetures not available in IE. It runs on the IE shell and is very similar in appearance and function. It's free and if you are interested can get it here:

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

I recommend the "Lite" version.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Actually that's a good point. I myself use Opera7 exclusively on my Win98 system and almost exclusively in XP. About the only time I use IE is for test purposes and for some Microsoft Domains.

IE is currently unsafe no matter how recently patched.

14. pointman_12

i appreciate all the help...i downloaded the lite version of myie2 and haven't had any problems so far...i didn't have much time to use it much...i haven't had the chance to try all the other suggestions yet...Nod32 emailed me a new imon.dll to place in the file to see if that helps...haven't had a chance to do that either...i'll try the annoyances.org part also...if i can't fix it, i'll just use another browser...

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okedoke, keep us updated.

You might want to give Opera a tryout too. I'm not sure if MyIE shares the same security flaws as IE; I do know that Opera doesn't because it does not share any files with IE.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice