1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Internet Sharing Please.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TehAwsomeGuy, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TehAwsomeGuy

TehAwsomeGuy Banned Thread Starter

Hi, i am trying to enable Internet Sharing on my windows xp system, i get to where you enable it and click ok, and it works for a second then a window pops up that says the following:

An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Please if anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know. Please & Thank you.

2. TehAwsomeGuy

Anyone? I could really use the help.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

This is a security risk why do you want to oppen the door to all who want to run your computer?

Try this:

Reset Windows XP TCP/IP

Go to Start, Run Type in the Open box CMD – this will open Command Prompt box (Black)

At the C:\ prompt type the line below:

netsh winsock reset

4. TehAwsomeGuy

its not like im opening it to everyone on the internet just to another wireless connection . . . and it says The comand prompt has been disabled by the admin, but im the admin, how do i enable it?

EDIT: i looked up how, and it didnt work . . .
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Command Processor
    Edit the CompletionChar value, and set the value of REG_DWORD to 1.

it was already @ 1, and i still cant access CMD propmt :((

any other solutions??

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I see you started another thread for this same thing. I'm going to close that one that I just replied to asking the same question as was already addressed here.

6. TehAwsomeGuy

this isnt the same thing, 2 completly different things man

7. ~Candy~

It's based on the same issue. I asked the SAME thing in the other thread regarding CMD ;)

You waste our time when we have to ask something that has already been addressed ;)

Why are you trying to use ICS to begin with? It's quite flakey? Do you not have a router?

8. TehAwsomeGuy

why is everyone asking me that? its my computer! :p and its because im trying to use my Nintendo Wifi Connector, and in order for it to work you must have internet sharing enabled, and what in the world is ICS? and no i dont have a router, some of us arent that fortunate :(

EDIT: anyone? does no one know?

9. ~Candy~

ICS = Internet Connection Sharing ;)

Why didn't you mention Nintendo Wifi Connector from the beginning?

10. TehAwsomeGuy

didnt think it was neccisary since its not the problem, that works fine lol, it just cant finish installation because ICS isnt enabled.

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Everything is necessary to know if you need or want the problem solved and AcaCandy is not a man in fact a very pretty person. Also with the errors you have been getting I would suggest getting a router they are cheap just go to a flea market or e-aby and you will find one this way you do not have to mess around with this.

How to Troubleshoot Internet Connection Sharing Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238135/

12. TehAwsomeGuy

Im a foster child, and not old enough to work so i have to make due, and if you didnt know some people use the term man as a general term, as in mankind, and you havent helped at all, ive already looked there, that was the first place i looked, after that i came here, and the Nintendo Wifi isnt really part of this problem, its the p.c, the only reason i mentioned it is because she asked why i was try. Thank You. Now if someone would be so kind as to actually help me, ive given all the information about it. and if you werent reading thats not my primary problem now, now i cant get my command prompt to work, i made another topic about it to keep this one on topic. but she closed that one, so could someone help me with that problem so that i can try your suggestion before moving any further, if there is anywhere to move further too.

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Oh well!

14. ~Candy~

Then I would assume that you are indeed NOT the administrator on the computer, thus the reason for you not being able to access the command prompt ;)

However, since you are now banned....I guess it won't matter.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice