1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with IP Routing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fillcakes, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fillcakes

fillcakes Thread Starter

I will try to be succinct.
    I am trying to attach a Synology NAS single drive to my home network
    Home network:
    Lan Modem/Router serving 4 ports downstairs old Netgear DG814 - OK
    Port1 Printer Port2: Main PC Port3: Upstairs RJ45 jack Port4: Synology/SparePC
    Wireless Modem/Router Wireless upstairs Linksys - OK
    Serving 1 Laptop and 3 PCs upstairs

I've setup the Synology manually using Port Forwarding on Lan Router and can access it remotely using a DDNS service provided by Synology I can login to NAS on port 5000 and use installed apps that use ports which I have forwarded.

However, when I switch on the NAS, all devices connected to the wireless router get DNS resolution failure but are connected to the router OK.and have been assigned private network address within the range I have fixed in wireless router.

Normally the wireless router gets its ip from the LAN router downstairs for connection and leases ip to wireless devices in the normal way and this works. More by luck than judgment coz I haven't a clue about ip routing.

To accommodate the NAS on the downstairs local network I've tried to disable DHCP in the Wireless router and configure the wireless devices to work with ip's configured manually in the wireless router - without any success. Probably becoz I don't really know what I'm doing.

Can anyone suggest how I should configure the wireless router and their devices to operate while the NAS also connected to stop the NAS setup from causing DNS look up failure on the wireless network?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can only imagine two possible causes ...

a. You've assigned the NAS the same (static) IP as the wireless router; or
    b. The router is assigning the same IP to those two devices.

3. fillcakes

fillcakes Thread Starter

Neither

THE NAS static ip is well below the range of the wireless router - and on oxtet? different to wireless

Wireless 100-109 on 192.168.1.100 -109
    Lan 1-10 on 192.168.0.1
    The LAN router is assigning within ip range 1 -10 on a 192.168.0.1 gateway
    Wireless router within range 100-109 on 192.168.1.1. gateway

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, the wireless router's WAN is being assigned an IP dynamically by the primary router and that IP is from 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.10, right?

If that is what you were saying then I don't understand "THE NAS static ip is well below the range of the wireless router." What exactly is it's static IP?

It probably doesn't really matter. It's just that the only way I could think that the NAS could be interfering with the wireless router is by an IP conflict. If that happened probably one of them would lose connection but you wouldn't get a "duplicate IP" warning the way you would on a computer.

5. fillcakes

fillcakes Thread Starter

Many thanks
    I'm assuming the wireless router WAN is not necessary and that the primary router takes care of that via its dynamically assigned WAN. The private IP assigned to the secondary router is between 192.168.0.2 -10.

The static ip for the NAS is 192.168.0.10 that I've manually assigned. So by 'static' I mean fixed.

However the primary router doesn't show the secondary router in the table as a device connected to it.

So, do you think interference with DNS look up would solely be caused by an ip conflict between it and the wireless router?

If so, It's a matter of me focussing on this for the solution. Thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only assign static IPs outside the Dhcp server's address range.

I'm assuming that by "static" and "fixed" you mean assigning a static IP to a device; not telling the Dhcp server to reserve a specific address.

7. fillcakes

fillcakes Thread Starter

Yes, I mean I have assigned a static ip to a device (NAS)

I tried telling the dhcp to reserve a specific address but that didn't resolve the problem

Is this the address range 2 - 10 I have set in router?

I'll try this, thanks

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. Make your static assignments in the 100s or 200s to make sure you stay far away from that range.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice