1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with iPod and iTunes. (can't sync or restore)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MusicLife, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicLife

MusicLife Thread Starter

Hey guys =}

My boyfriend just gave me his old 30gb 5th gen ipod and I'm having troubles syncing music.

When I first tried syncing a playlist I got an error message that read (more or less): "ipod cannot be updated. The required file cannot be found".

So after trying to restore I recieved this message: "The iPod cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (1418)."

The ipod itself seems frozen when I eject it using itunes (it displays the "do not disconnect" screen until I finally give up and restart it). Not sure if that means anything but I guess I'll put it out there since my guess is something's wrong with the ipod. I think this because he had to send this back to apple to get fixed in the past (the original problem being that it froze and itunes kept saying to restore over and over when it was connected). He just got it back in the mail. He also purchased another (same model) used ipod and used itunes on this same pc today and his worked fine. My sister also has a nano she updates with this pc and that works fine too. Everyone's walking around with earbuds playing their favorite tunes but me.

Anyway, here are some things I've tried after browsing the apple site (which is either fairly useless or I just can't navigate it properly):

- Uninstalled itunes, quicktime and other apple software. Restarted, reinstalled, restarted again. Open itunes and had no luck.

- Moved to a USB slot in the back of the pc instead of the front.

- Restarted the ipod manually (holding the click wheel and select button).

- Updated to most recent itunes software.

I'm currently still getting the same messages. I've tried google and the apple support site and still I'm stumped. Times like this I wish I had better knowledge of these things. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh! And I apologize if I posted this in the wrong subforum.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice