1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PaGrrl, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PaGrrl

PaGrrl Thread Starter

I have a linksys router The model number is WRT160N. I recently got highspeed throught centrylink. I try to pull up the linksys router but it wont come up I tried 191.168.1.1 Nothing comes up. I have tried all I can think of everything linksys sites has to offer, Now I can pull up the centrylink modem. But I need to get into the linksys. My internet speeds are slow at times like on dial up. I have Win XP. Please help me!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you connect with a cable directly to the modem - what speed are you getting ?

if you connect to the linksys router with a cable connected to one of the LAN ports - nothing else connected
    and type in
    192.168.1.1 into an internet explorer browser - what happens

3. PaGrrl

PaGrrl Thread Starter

If I disconnect the router the speeds are very very fast. Im not sure of the speed but I know its the highest the dsl company has to offer. If I connect the linksys router to one of the lan port with nothing else. It does not bring anything up and I am not connect to the intetnet then. I have to go from the modem to the router.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have you tried a factory reset on the linksys router ?
    should be a button/hole on the back to reset hold in for about 30secs

who supplied the router?

5. PaGrrl

PaGrrl Thread Starter

I bought the router at walmart about two years ago. It is a linksys/ cicso router. If I try the reset then it will not be secure anyone can use it. See the router works, as I am online with my other computer that is wireless. But the speeds go back and forth and alot of the time I have the yellow icon going around the wireless internet icon on the taskbar. So Im afraid to reset it and it not work at all. Then I wouldnt be able to acess the internet because I cant acess my router

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lets rewind a bit
    summary

PC Connected to Modem - highspeed
    PC connected to Router - intermittent slowspeed
    PC Unable to log into the router

Any other device connected to the router and getting constant high speed

if you have another PC connected to the router and also getting slow speeds , then a reset on router and / or a firmware update on the router would be the recommendation

IF its just the one PC - then we can look at updating the driver on the PC

7. PaGrrl

PaGrrl Thread Starter

There are two computers. The one where the modem is on wired. The modem is connected to the router. The main computer is connected to the router with a wire. The computer I am on now is wireless. Nothing else is conncted to the inteternet. Speeds are fast sometimes and slow on others on both computer. The only times the speed is fast if I disconnect the router and use the modem to the main computer. I dont have the disk for my router. If you want me to I can do the reset on the router. But then my question would be how do I acess it to configure it for the password protection and to get highest internet speed

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you connect both by cable and confirm they are both slow at the same time - just to eliminate wireless issues

but, from your description, if PCs work fine connected to modem and then intermittently slow on PCs when connected to router - it does appear to be associated with the router ...
    and if you can at least log into the router - it maybe the router is now faulty
    As you rightly say - resetting the router may actually stop the router working at all or if reset to factor condition , then the wireless may be insecure and you still are unable to log in and re-secure.

A risk you need to decide to take...
    once you have confirmed that the router is the issue , by testing if both PCs slow down on the router connection

you may find a powercycle may help - switching everything off for 10-20 minutes and then turn on modem allow time to settle , then the router allow time to settle then PC - again this may stop the router working all together

9. PaGrrl

PaGrrl Thread Starter

I have tried both with the modem already. No problems that way. Okay so I I reset the router or power down and if the router no longer works then what would I do?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you would need to buy a new router i'm afraid - so you may want to wait until your happy to be without a router fro a day or so

- Order i would try

1) Power cycle
    2) Reset Router
    3) Firmware update - but that may not be possible if you cannot access the router

11. PaGrrl

PaGrrl Thread Starter

Yea I dont like that fact I dont have the money for a new router right now. So I guess Ill just deal with the slow speeds since you cant suggest anything else

12. oldrookie

oldrookie

Run the command ipconfig /all on your computer (enter cmd.exe in run box and then OK to bring up command windows). The default gateway IP should be the IP for your Linksys.

Try unplugging your Linksys overnight and then plug it in just before you need it again as it may be overheating. Do not stack it on top of other equipment and make sure there is airflow around it.

If that does not help it MAY help to reset it but ONLY after you document all the current settings (WAN/LAN/Wireless) and are confident you could reconfigure it again to work for your network.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice