1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Mail Merge!! v.2

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hispire700, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hispire700

hispire700 Thread Starter

Borrowing this issue from another thread, as I have the problem in 2010 and the fix that was posted doesn't work. Yup. It's a PITA. You need to NOT use the Address Block. Instead, insert the individual fields. See this article:
    http://www.officearticles.com/word/i...osoft_word.htm (n) In my version The "insert field"s are grayed out and I can't apply them.

I am using the mail merge wizard in Word 2010 to create address mailing labels from a mailing list I saved in an Excel worksheet.

Everything is fine, I've tested is several times. But there's one very aggravating little problem.

The labels are all created with a space in front of the first line (name) on each and every label.

I want them to look like this:

John Smith
    123 Main Street
    Charlottesville, VA 22901

But instead they all look like this (the underscore I typed in is actually just a blank space):

_John Smith
    123 Main Street
    Charlottesville, VA 22901

I've tried everything I can think of.

The spreadsheet cells for names do not have an extra space in them before the names. I have one column in the spreadsheet called Name that has the entire name of the person I want to appear on the first line, so I'm not using separate values for first name and last name, it's just one: Name. But this doesn't seem to make a difference even if there is a separate column.

Please advise. Thanks so much!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice