1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP with Media Sharing & File /Printer Sharing !

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daveyjones777, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveyjones777

daveyjones777 Thread Starter

Basically I can get everything to work in my home network, just not all at once. Let me explain:
    My tower/desktop is running XP sp2.
    My (wireless) laptop is running Vista Sp1.
    My 360 is hard wired to router
    My PS3 is hard wired to router
    Printer connected to tower via USB
    I have had no problems setting up my PS3 and 360 for online gaming and enabling access to my tower’s HD media files. I’ve also always had internet on my laptop but I really NEED is my laptop to be able to access my tower
    Here is the crux of the situation: When I turn on Windows Media Player’s “Media Sharing” (and ps3/360/laptop do all show up) it shares the media files BUT it kills my laptop internet access. Seems I can get internet back on laptop but never back any file sharing with tower and never access to my printer anymore.

**Right now the status is wireless laptop DOES have internet and access to all files on Tower.
    360 and Ps3 have internet access, but not MEDIA access because I have to keep that off.....

What the *%$# am I doing wrong? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. stan_879nz

stan_879nz

ever thought of using remote access to log onto the tower for internet use and using the ps3 or xbox as storage givin that they a hard wired in yes i have used vista as a media/server as well and know that you cant connect remotly to vista from xp but there a tools tomake this able

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course you can connect remotely to Vista from XP, I can do it right here using Remote Desktop or UltraVNC. The Vista must be either Business or Ultimate, not one of the home versions to use Remote Desktop, but UltraVNC works on any version of Windows.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702788

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice