1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with montior/new MB please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JeffFL, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JeffFL

JeffFL Thread Starter

I have an asus A7v333 motherboard. Last week I tried to upgrade the ram to a 512 stick of Kingston 333mhz DDR 2700 ram. I guessed that the ram is not compatiable because my system would not boot plus I smelled an electic burning smell. So I ordered a new Asus A7v333 MB and put all of my original components back on(excluding the new ram). When I try to boot I still cant even get to the start-up screen or cmos. Ive tried different monitors and different video cards. Everything appears to be running, hard drive etc..Why cant I even get to cmos? Thanks in advance

2. n2gun

n2gun

Are You getting any beeps?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be the RAM or the powersupply that fried. If you have access to spare parts, try swapping these out.

4. JeffFL

JeffFL Thread Starter

I have not heard any beeps. Also the power supply seems to be working fine because everything appears to be on.

Even if the ram was bad could'nt I still get to a start-up screen or cmos. I hear the harddrive boot up but the monitor never turns on even when it is plugged to the video card and the power is on.

Any suggestions?

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

What does that mean ---> "appears" to be on?

The only way you'll know for sure is if you bench it. The easiest thing to do is like he said, just swap it out ;)

6. n2gun

n2gun

Seeing it is a new board, check and make sure the clear cmos jumper is in the right place.(pins 1 and 2) I have seen where the fans turn and the power supply is still bad. Also something else may be shorted and causing it not to boot. Go with the bare minimum, video card, memory, and of course cpu and fan and see what happens.

7. silver_lexus

silver_lexus

SEt all Sysclx switches to off and all jumpers to default. disconnect all unnecessary items as n2gun suggests. Check that cmos battery doesn't have a plastic foil under it! Then with the battery out place a screwdriver across the two pins near to battery to reset cmos.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice