1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with motherboard change

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlabit, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

I'be built a few computers in my lifetime but having problems like I have not experienced before. The motherboard is an Asus A7NX8-X. The CPU is an AMD Sempron 2200. I now get a good bootup with bios picking up my Maxtor hard drive and CD burner correctly. HD as primary and CR as secondary on primary IDE. After some tinkering, bios also correctly recognizes the cpu as the sempron 2200. I am running fsb 166 with multiplier of 9.5. The problem occurs when I attempt to install Windows 98 after deleting, creating new partition, and reformatting Maxtor hard drive. I go to E drive where my CD is, and where the Windows 98 cd is at to install the operating system. I enter setup and everything starts per normal, scandisk. After exiting scandisk, it says it is loading setup files and then I get an error message that states "Standard Mode: Invalid DPMI return from 03B7: 08EC". Then I get the E prompt with no further action. Everything I know to check is correct. The bios recognizes the HD and CD. It also recognizes the proper CPU. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Never experienced this type of problem before. I work grave shift and am about to go to bed but will look up responses when I wake up this evening. Sure appreciate any help you may give. This one has me stumped. Thanks again.

Jim

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If it were my MB I'd pull everything off of it that is not needed to get it running and start there. Floppy is drive A: HD is drive C: and CD is D: Make sure you got CD rom support on the Win98 boot floppy. Boot with cd support - fdisk, partition and format C:/s Put the Win98 cd in the drive and at the A: prompt type C:\setup If that doesn't work change directories to C:/ and type setup (CR) then follow onscreen instructions.........

3. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

The only thing I have on the motherboard is a video card because the MB does not have onboard video. Symptoms are now different. When you get A: prompt with Win 98 boot disk, repartition, reformat, and tell it to setup, it goes into setup mode, doing a disc scan. Once scan in complete and you tell it to exit, it states it is loading setup files for about 2 seconds, and then returns to the prompt of the drive your in. If trying to setup from C:, it returns a C: prompt. Whichever drive you are in when entering setup, is the prompt it goes back to after performing disc scan and telling it to exit. I've played with computers for years and never seen anything like this.

Jim

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I don't get it either. When you boot with the Win98 disk it should ask if you want cd-rom support, and you click yes. It loads all the files needed for the cd support and system files for fdisk and format. After you fdisk, make a partition and format c:/s you are returned to the a: prompt, and it takes awhile to do this. I don't understand where you say you tell it to 'exit'?
    After all of this is done you put your Win98 cd in the cd drive and type C:\setup while at the a: prompt
    It should automatically pickup the cd in drive d: and start installing.
    If this isn't happening then maybe you have a bad install floppy.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/360064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice