1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with MSN Messenger virus (or is it a virus) ????

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by benobee, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benobee

benobee Thread Starter

Hello all,

this is my first post on this forum, so please bear with me if I'm asking the obvious... :)

My girlfriend is recently experiencing some very odd behaviour on her laptop related to MSN messenger. The symptoms range from dropping her connectivity sporadically, to automatically changing her photos randomly on her MSN messenger icon, to logging her into both her MSN accounts (when normally MSN only allows you to log into one account at any one time).

This would have been bearable, until today her father reported that his laptop has started to receive msn popup messages from people on her old MSN account contact list, which she hasn't used in months, and has blocked all of them as she was migrating over to the other MSN account. I understand that the messages are sometimes of the type "X has added you to their contact list... what would you like to do?" and you have the option to add, block or ignore etc.

The odd thing is that she has never used her father's laptop for MSN purposes as it is a work laptop and has all the necessary firewalls and anti-virus protection. The last time he connected to the home network was about 2 months back.

I tried a search on google to see whether these symptoms have been reported but haven't got anywhere with finding a solution to this. My initial suspicion is that it is a result of some malicious activity - but I was hoping someone could provide some assistance to (a) understanding what the problem might be, and (b) offering a possible fix?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this rather odd scenario.

Many thanks in advance

Ben

2. benobee

benobee Thread Starter

hello... can anybody help with this enquiry please?

Many thanks in advance !

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice