1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with my computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Tmart00, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tmart00

Tmart00 Thread Starter

Hello, I have a old computer that has had the error 0xc0000225. My system registry files are missing or corrupt. I have gone through all my options of commands to try to fix this but have had no luck. Can not reset the computer, have no administration account so cant use command prompt or reboot to a past version etc. My computer is a bit old and windows came preinstalled so cant use the product key to download a repair on a usb. Any tips?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model name and exact model number and exact serial number of your computer?
    What's the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?
    How long has it been since it was working properly?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. Tmart00

Tmart00 Thread Starter

Dell Studio XPS 9100 Reg model: DCRM Ref No:10024 Service Tag: 6RBXKN1 Windows Home Premium OA
    It hasn't worked for a good 3 months, haven't had time to get to it until now

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have THIS Dell Studio XPS 9100.
    It was purchased new in October 2010 in the United States and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    The Service Pack 1(SP1) upgrade wasn't released until March 2011, so it came with the original version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Is the 25-character product key for Windows 7 Home Premium still readable?
    (Do NOT submit that product key here!)

I looked at the hardware that came in it, and it may be a good candidate for Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    You can make the switch to Windows 10 Home 64-bit for free, if you're capable of doing it, but the product key is needed for activation purposes.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. Tmart00

Tmart00 Thread Starter

Product key is still readable. would I need to install it via usb downloaded from another computer? Due to being stuck on the blue screen of death.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If that desktop has a disc drive, create a bootable DVD disc instead of a bootable USB thumb drive to install Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    From my experience, using a bootable DVD is more successful than using a bootable USB thumb drive.

Once you download and save and run the Media Creation Tool at the webpage that I linked you to, just follow the directions to create one or the other.
    Once Windows 10 Home 64-bit is installed and running, you can input the Windows 7 product key to activate it.

If you don't know how to do all this, the instructions at the webpage that I linked you to will help you.
    If you know someone computer-knowledgeable who can devote 2 - 3 hours to help you, ask that person.

I'm shutting down for the rest of the night, so I won't be back here until tomorrow morning.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice