Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with my HP Pavilion

842 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  kds132 
#1 ·
Five months ago I bought an HP Pavilion Notebook (dv6119us). I also purchased Norton Internet Security 2007 and Spy Sweeper. I kept these (along with Windows XP) up to date. About a month ago I turned it on and it said, “Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose, Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren’t sure what cause the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.” Then it listed the ways to start up (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally). I made no hardware changes and the only software changes were Norton, Spy Sweeper, and Windows updates. The last time that I had my computer on it did not stop responding or restart automatically, or shut down automatically. Previous start up was not interrupted due to power failure and I did not press the power button or the reset button. I tried all options, starting with Start Windows Normally. When I did this and when I tried starting with Last Known Good Configuration, Windows acted like it was going to start up and then the screen went blank (power was still ok). When I started in the Safe Modes, the screen filled with stings. The first sting was “multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS” I called HP support and was told (without asking me very many questions) that I had a virus and that my only option was to re-image my computer. I went along with it and my computer seemed to be working fine until last week it happened again. I am looking for some advice on what the problem could be (and please speak in layman’s terms as I am not very computer literate). I want to be prepared so that when I call HP, they can’t just get away with an easy fix. If there was something wrong with my computer before I even took it out of the box, I want to be able to make an argument so that HP has to fix it. Thank you for your help.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.