1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with my poor internet and Wi-Fi, please?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Xenobat, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xenobat

Xenobat Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I've reached a pretty desperate point and I'm seeking some advice please?

Basically, I'm having issues with online gaming and with streaming those games. I've done a variety of internet speed tests and the results generally come out as this:

Download speed: between 5mbs and 6mbs (I've mainly seen 5.3mbs)
    Upload speed: between 0.27mbs and 0.3mbs

Typically, when I'm downloading something, I don't have any issues. However, when it comes to streaming games (from my PS4 to Youtube, usually), playing online games, or even trying to voice chat on something like Skype or Discord, my internet just doesn't want to cooperate. I can connect to some online games, but I often lag or get booted out of a server. In terms of calls on Skpe or Discord, my friends have told me that I often sound robot-like, the sounds are distorted and sometimes my call ends itself due to poor connection.
    On the PS4, there is a service called PS Now (where you play games from an online service), I was subscribed to it, but getting games to work was just frustrating. The images were often distorted, laggy and most of the time, I just couldn't get anything to work.

I would very much like to be able to play online and to be able to stream games because I'm currently stuck at home due to illness, and gaming is one of my coping mechanisms. Here is a screenshot of how poor my streaming attempt actually was (from PS4 to Youtube):

Lol not gonna happen.png

I'm not sure what information I need to share but here are some things about my setup that may help:

• I live in Birmingham, England.
    • My PS4 and laptop are connected through Wi-Fi.
    • I'm with BT Internet.
    • My Wi-Fi router is the BT Home Hub 4.0 - Type A.
    • The router is placed up in a good spot (according to the BT recommendations), e.g. not hidden away, not covered by things, placed away from windows, it's up fairly high (about half way between the floor and the ceiling - on a stand) and I can see it clearly. It is against one wall due to the layout of our living room.
    • The Wi-Fi struggles to run more than one product at a time, especially if it's a game on the PS4 and something else.
    • Nothing is downloading or updating when I try to go online.
    • No suspicious products are linked to the Wi-Fi - from what I can tell from the list of connections.
    • To the best of my knowledge, my laptop and PS4 do not have any viruses or Malware - but I can't be 100% on that because I rely heavily on the advice of others (via Google searches), but my antivirus searches have come up clear (I use BT's own antivirus, I think it's through McAfee ("BT Virus Protect") and I use Windows Defender, too).

I'm wondering if buying a different router would actually help? I've seen a few topics on other sites saying that a router is a good way of boosting your connection, but I have no idea how reliable that information is. And, if it is reliable, I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know what would be a good router and what would be a bad router!

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thank you for reading, and I apologise for the essay.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are those speeds with an ethernet connection? If not, what are they with ethernet?

3. Xenobat

Xenobat Thread Starter

Those speeds are without an Ethernet cable. Sadly I can't get with a cable as I don't own one at the moment.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, your problem may be your internet service, or McAfee or a wireless issue.

What speeds are you supposed to be getting from your ISP?

You can eliminate one potential problem with the McAfee Removal Tool.

Sometimes Xirrus is difficult to get, but it is a good Wi-Fi tool ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The upload speed is too low IMO for streaming or playing online games, especially if you have more than one user at the same time. If your internet plan has a low upload speed, consider upping it, or find out if you have any other devices that are online at the same time and turn them off.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice