1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with my router connections, please

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sooloo, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

i am not sure if this is the right topic for this question, but it won't be the first time I have not know that. I have a Linksys wireless-G broadband router. I have a pc working from a cable company and I got the router to use my net book and it works great. Now I have a lap top also (not new) and I can't get it to connect to the internet. I have tried several things according to these directions and those directions and nothing has worked. I connected the cable into the lap top at one point to make sure it wasn't the laptop. Any help would be so helpful. Thanks Susan

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is the netbook connected by cable or wireless
    is the PC connected by cable or wireless

lets see an ipconfig .all from a working cable connected PC and also a working wireless pc

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    {ipconfig /all}
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
    We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
    -> Start
    -> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all
    -> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
    cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

3. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

my pc is connected by cable. I have a wireless router that connects my net book and I cannot get my lap top to run via the wireless router. The lap top works once hooked up to cable and obviously I don't want that. I want to it to run via wireless.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : susan
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vs.shawcable.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vs.shawcable.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-5B-44-45-4A
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.59.144.16
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 16, 2011 1:19:57 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 17, 2011 1:19:57 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Me>c

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no wireless adapter shown there
    lets see an device manager screen shot

{Device Manager}
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here

5. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

no ! ? X. simply SIS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

6. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

I don't know is this will be helpful and I should have started with this. I bought the net book and then the wireless router, hooked it up, turned on my net book and it worked! It won't however work with the lap top..........

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that maybe because the laptop does NOT have a wireless adapter -
    if there are no ? ! or X anywhere in the device manager - try View - Show hidden devices

then you do not have wireless on the laptop

have a look in the bios - as the PC boots it should tell you how - F2, F10 Del - see if there is an option to disable wireless there

make and exact model of the laptop

8. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

it booted and didn't run the booting info as it was booting.....grrrrrrrrrr. I hope I am not wasting your time here........The lap top has a wireless system on it that it came with. I pulled it up. On the Broadcom Wireless Utility I did a testing and all failed.......control registers, SPROM; Format Validation; Memory Tests, Interupt test, Loopback test LED All but the LED test failed.

Wireless networks on the utility has two wireless networks as working. One is the one I use for the net book.
    The link networks is operating is if it is working just fine.

Do you think it is conflicting with the wireless router I have working here?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try this on the laptop

{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
    Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifi_download_redirect.php
    Then run and install the program
    if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

10. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

ok, well all I can get to come up on this GD machine is google. :eek: I cannot get the wi-fi inspector program up as nothing will come up.... well once microsoft connected but I couldn't get anywhere else with it and than was only once. I really appreciate your help here and I think I am going to give it to my friend who is also a tech and he can toss it or fix it.... Thank you again. Susan

11. sooloo

sooloo Thread Starter

I would like to let you know what the problem, problems were though, if you are interested........

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, that will help others searching with the same issue

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you could connect by cable to the router and run the xirrus program from safe mode with networking

as the pc starts keep tapping F8 a menu appears choose "safemode with networking" with a cable connected to the router that should work

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice