1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with my second HDD

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by cornflake82, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornflake82

cornflake82 Thread Starter

I currently had prob with PSU, changed out, found bad MoBo. So I'm building a new PC from scratch. I have new SATA that I want to put Fedora on, and use my old 160GB IDE that has my working version of XP home SP2 on it. I would like to dual boot, but I'm afraid that with new Mobo and CPU it will get messed up. Can I have 2nd HDD as slave and still run windows through Fedora?

I really don't want to reinstall for just a few windows programs.

Thanks for the help...

2. Timmy69

Timmy69

ok here are the steps that must be taken for dual boot XP and Fedora
    install the IDE drive as master, set the new blank SATA as slave (Fedora will be put on this)
    1. Format the SATA with whichever file system with XP, reboot comp. Also format a floppy disk with FAT.

2. Go into BIOS, set CD as 1st boot priority, put in Fedora CD, reboot

3. system will attempt to boot into Linux installation

4. go through the installation, make sure to select the SATA drive for the Fedora to be put on. use the automatic partition.
    remember to select this option when see it:
    /dev/hda2 First sector of boot partition

5. after successful installation, reboot your comp with the CD, at welcome screen type: "linux rescue"
    just select OK+Enter... leave the defaults... when get to /mnt/sysimage, click OK, and put in the formatted floppy.

6. when reach command prompt, type the following: (except Enter)
    mkdir /mnt/floppy Enter
    mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy Enter
    cd /mnt/floppy Enter
    dd if=/dev/hdb1 bs=512 count=1 of=linboot.bin Enter

should then see this result:

1+0 records in
    1+0 records out

then type:

cd Enter
    umount /mnt/floppy Enter
    exit Enter

the system will reboot, take out the CD, and you will boot into Windows
    access the floppy, there should be a file there, copy and paste linboot.bin to your C: drive
    find your NTLOADER (C:\boot.ini) and open it with notepad
    leave everything the way it was except type in the following after the last line:
    C:\linboot.bin="Give this a name such as FEDORA or something"

3. cornflake82

cornflake82 Thread Starter

Thank you that is the best way I have seen it yet! I will try it when my new sata drive arrives wed. I'll post back if I can't get it to work. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice