1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Help with my slow internet on a new pc build

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Royalking1982, Nov 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Royalking1982

Royalking1982 Thread Starter

internet problem:
    I have ran broadband speed checker ona number of propherals using the same wireless router that I have to eliminate router network problem.

Broadband speed test

iPad wireless
    Download 23.09
    Upload 8.94
    Ping 184ms

Ps4 wireless
    Download 22.80
    Upload 8.48
    Ping 196ms

Ps4 wired
    Download 37.15
    Upload 7.10
    Ping 406ms

Smart tv wireless
    Download 18.26
    Upload 0.72
    Ping 446ms

Pc wired
    Download 1.35
    Upload 0.08
    Ping 1096

Pc wireless

Download 1.80
    Upload 0.32
    Ping 707

looking at this data tells me that the issue is with my pc and not the broadband provider.
    here is my wifi pci adaptor
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN881ND.html

I have tried upgrading the driver to the latest but still I have the same problem.
    I have tried using a usb wireless adaptor here it is tp-link tl-wn321g.
    still I have the same slow problem.

Can any1 please help here I don't know what it is.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    If possible, can you connect the PC directly to the Modem, just to compare the speed with and without the router.
    Also check the MTU settings in your router.

I'll to lookup the advanced options for that Nic card.

Lastly, please give the make and model of your router.

3. Royalking1982

I don't think its a router problem as my other devices work fine as seen above, I also tried a wired connection to the router but I still get slow speed, I think the problem is with the pc.
    here is my router model is bright box 2 wireless router by EE, just google it for the specs.

4. Royalking1982

mtu is set to 1492

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It's possible that the issue is with the pc. However, just for the sake of elimination, set the MTU to 1500. Restart the router. Lastly, to completely eliminate a router issue. Connect, with a different cable, if you have one, directly to the modem. Thus bypassing the router completely.

EDIT: If you're connected via a phone line, then you can't bypass the router.
    But, which Ethernet port are you connecting to, on the router? If you use the single GHz port? Then try to use a different port.
    You can also try to force your nic to use a specific speed. It should be an option under the advanced settings in the Nic properties. It's probably called "Link Speed and Duplex" Normallly it'll be set for "auto detect" but you can try different combinations. Obviously you can'tset it to 1GB Full if you're connected to one of the 10/100 ports.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. Royalking1982

what is nic is it on the router setting or my pc wifi settings???

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    It would be on the wired Nic settings.

For the Wireless you can check which band it connects to, hopefully. Select the 5GHz band and use WPA2-PSK security. Security needs to be set in the router.

Oops. I forgot. Nic is Network Interface Card. So, generally a wired connection.

8. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Just out of curiosity. Did you get your issue resolved? And if so, what was the solution? Others may have the same issue.

9. Royalking1982

Internet problem: I have contacted my isp to solve the problem, they ran diagnostics on the internet line and server everything seemed to be ok, however they noticed high interference on 2.5g frequency in my house and my modem is too old and needs a replacement. I upgraded my tarrif to 60mbps download and will be getting new modem.
    I have changed the frequency channels on the modem from 1 to 7 apparently this helps with interference, I noticed that my internet speed improved just a little bit got a few more mbps.
    I also ordered a new wifi dual band card so I can run 5 ghz frequency as it has much less interference as I was told by isp technician.
    When I get the new modem and wifi card I will let you know what happens. I have updated all drivers to the latest.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    "I upgraded my tarrif to 60mbps download and will be getting new modem." what modem do you have now? (the one being replaced) Plus you shouldn't need to upgrade your speed to replace the modem if they (ISP) suspects the problem is with their modem.

My concern is that you have a humongous ping time. anything over 100ms is bad, but what you show is way worse. I suspect bad signals. The modem can do that but a technician will need to check your line first.

11. Royalking1982

Technician have checked the line is there’s no problem they checked the router and it has lots of interference and is over four hrs old

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    if it was given to you by the ISP you shouldn't have needed to up the speed to get one... but let's see what this one does fro you.

13. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Interference is one thing. But it doesn't explain why the speed is so low using a hard wired connection. Unless my memory is faulty (That happens all the time) Then it was stated in the first post that even a wired connection was extremely low speed.

14. Royalking1982

Interference is one thing. But it doesn't explain why the speed is so low using a hard wired connection. Unless my memory is faulty (That happens all the time) Then it was stated in the first post that even a wired connection was extremely low speed.

exactly the point I was trying to make, is there a software that test network problems, I have run ubuntu operating system I still get the slow speeds

15. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    In reference to the slow wired speed. If other devices function fine on the router. Then it'll have to be either a faulty network card on the PC, a faulty cable, a faulty device, a faulty router unlikely), a cabling issue on the physical network. ie. faulty cables, connectors etc. or a combination thereof. So try, in order

1. A different port on the router
    2. A different ethernet cable, plugged directly into the router.
    3. A different device cabled with the same cable and also with a new cable, into the router.

Using this and combinations thereof should allow you to isolate the problem. Unless the issue is an intermittent line issue. But that it'd fail every time you tried the new PC, is highly unlikely.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice