1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with network driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BobbyZee, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BobbyZee

BobbyZee Thread Starter

Hi Guys,
    My knowledge of computers is fairly limited, particularly installing drivers, and I would certainly appreciate any help one's
    able to provide.

Event viewer indicates an Event 7000 error (BCM42RLY), have googled problem and it seems to be possibly related to the
    installed Broadcom Integrated Controller driver. Checking driver version in Device Mgr., it seems a little outdated and so I
    have downloaded a later version from Dell.

Proceeding with the installation, I get a "Remove Program" message in the Installation Wizard, which informs me that I have
    chosen to remove the program from system! Is there something I'm not doing right, or is this normal?

Again, thanks in anticipation.

BobbyZee

2. catlady13

catlady13

Did you remove the old driver first? That is usually the best way to do this. Usually it should be in Add/Remove programs in control panel. I would remove the old one, reboot the computer and then add the new one. I always reboot again even if it isn't asked for. Often though they do ask for a reboot. Hope this helps.

3. BobbyZee

BobbyZee Thread Starter

Hi catlady,
    A reply was a long time a-coming but when it did, it was worth it, many thanks indeed!
    I'm pretty much an old timer, fairly new to computing and lacking in confidence, afraid to make that final "click"
    for fear of the possible consequences!
    Anyway, carried out your instructions and lo and behold, success!! Again, many thanks.
    BobbyZee

4. catlady13

catlady13

Yee haa.. good for you . I am not exactly young either. My best friend's son got me into computers a number of years ago now. I figured if I didn't get brave I wouldn't learn. Now I build all my own computers and for a couple of friends and am always fixing friends computers for them. I really enjoy it. I learned an awful lot from reading this forum. People here are pretty friendly especially if you really want to learn. I wish I knew as much as some of the other people here but life is a destination.....
    You are so welcome ..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice