1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with networking a printer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TreyDawgMT, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT Thread Starter

Hello all,

First off I'm not quite sure this is the correct forum for this, but I think it is. Anyhow, here's my problem.

I've got a HP OfficeJet 5610 All-In-One Printer. (PS, I *love* it...) I've also got a D-Link DP-301U Print Server, connected to a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router. I'd really love to get at least the printing to work through the wireless network. I've got the Printserver configured to 192.168.1.105 IP address, but can't get it to work.

HP tells me its not possible to network this printer, but I don't often belive stuff those guys say, so if anyone can help me, that'd be AWESOME! If not, I'll probably look at another printer i have lying around here, but this one is in the right spot to use the fax and everything, so yeah...

TIA,

TreyDawg

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hi TreyDawg. I think that at most you will be able to use the print function over the network. For a second opinion on the networkability of that all-in-one, go to the HP web site and search diligently. Another poster some time back found a table with all the HP printers, all-in-ones, etc., that said what kind of networking was possible. Many all-in-ones don't work with a printer server.

Another thing to look for, is whether you can connect it to a PC and share the print function that way. Some HP's can be shared that way only if the sharing and using PCs have the same version of Windows. :(

And, by the way, thanks for stepping in to that "Connecting router to a computer?" thread. I was getting mighty frustrated trying to get that person to understand the utility of a device driver.

Terry

3. TreyDawgMT

Thanks for the tip, I'm thinking that I might just have to use a different printer. The sad part is, this one needs to be close to my internet connection which is on the first floor, and my room and desktop are downstairs, so I'll either need to drill a hole in the floor and run a phone cable to use the fax, or use a different printer...

4. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

You can network the printer function but only the printer function through the network. I have the linksys print server so I'm not sure this will work with your D-link server. I find with my server it was easiest to NOT use the software that came with the server. Install the printer driver and point it to a standard TCP/IP port that you will create in windows that is set the IP address of your print server.

5. TreyDawgMT

I have done that, but I am unable to add print drivers for the 5610 when I do that. Any ideas on how do that, or where to get just print drivers or something...

6. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

When you install the software from your all in one's CD, it will install a printer driver for you. You need to right click on that driver select properties, than go to the "ports" tab and change the port selection to the TCP/IP port that you created.

7. TreyDawgMT

HEY! It works. I *swear* I tried that once before, but I guess the gods hated me that day! lol. Well, thanks for the help! Now - is it possible to scan with it this way too do you know? Or is it possible to get it to do that? (I don't use that feature often, so its not super important, but it'd be cool!)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice