1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with new build won't POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sanoka, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I would really appreciate some help with this new build. Everything is new out of the box. I have assembled everything, read the manual and from what I can see I have connected everything according to the book...so I think. BTW this is the first time that I build a computer so please bear with me.

I turn the system on and all the lights work, including the MOBO light and the fan are working but it won't post? I have rechecked all the connections and I know that it is on a working monitor.....monitor says no signal....light stays yellow and doesn't go to green.

Specs
    Asus M2A-VM AMD 390G Socket AM2 Motherboard
    OCZ 1024 MB PC6400 [email protected] 800MHz (2x512MB)
    AMD Athlon 64 dual core processor
    Thermaltake Litepower 400W ATA 2.0 12CM Fan PSU
    Sony 20x DVDRW SATA
    Cooler Master elite 330 Black ATX RoHS Case
    WD Caviar 80GB SATA-3G HD

Nothing appeared to be damaged when I received them and the boxes were all in good shape. Please send any and all suggestions

Thank you

2. Compiler

Compiler

Unplug everything, but the CPU and RAM. unplug power and data cables from drives.

Make sure both power cables are plugged in 24pin and 4 pin.

3. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Good evening Compiler. I read the troubleshooting guide while I was waiting for a response and did just what you suggested. I got the system to boot with only on Ram stick in it and I configured the bios. Now I tried the other stick in the other slots and it won't boot with that stick in it. These a paired so I don't understand why it doesn't work?

My next step would be to install the OS. I was going to do that then try the other stick...what do you think?

4. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

I tried the Ram in all the slots and only one will work. I took the new set of identical ram and tried those as well and still only A1 will work. I think that the problem lies with the motherboard but I would have to set up the second one to verify.

Any suggestion?

5. grimx133

grimx133

Install windows with the one stick, then try putting another in. Sometimes boards can be picky about that. If you can't get it to work after windows is installed and updated, and the chipset drivers installed, then is the time to figure that one out.

6. Sithtiger

Sithtiger

You should make sure you BIOS is up to date as well. If it's not, then you need to flash it to the latest version. Something you didn't mention before is what type of graphics card do you have? Is it integrated or is it an add in board? If it's an add in board, make sure you have all the cables connected to it. Some might not have any or might one 6 and one 8 pin or two 8's or two 6's....you get the picture.

One other thing...make sure the voltage that your RAM is spected to is the same on the mobo. In other words, if your ram is spected at 1.6v and the mobo has it set to 1.9v, that could very easily keep it from posting or booting correctly, so make sure the voltage isn't over or under!

The last thing I can think of right now is your sound card. As silly as this might sound, some sound cards, especially Creative sound cards can be finicky! So you could install Windows without it and put it in after the install. I doubt very much that it's a sound issue though, but I'm thinking your BIOS needs to be updated or the voltage set by the mobo is incorrect.

Then it's also possible that the mobo or the PSU could be the culprit. You exchanged each RAM by itself and it started to install with both (one at a time that is) right? So you could mark out the RAM being defective. Just like grimx133 suggested, make sure all your connections are connected especially your PSU connector....should be a 24-pin connector. Let us know how its going even it works. It's always good to know which solution worked for a problem to help everyone in the future!

7. grimx133

grimx133

The only time to flash your bios is if an updated version fixes an issue that you are experiencing, or provides support for a new cpu you are going to install. It's a classic case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." When it's needed, by all means flash your bios, if not, then don't. A bad flash when you didn't really need it won't make your day.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is correct. Unless the bios update has a fix you need, then leave it alone.

Next item. You are using ocz ram. Did you check the qvl or approved list for your motherboard? OCZ ram is not on the list. You may have a bad board however you also should use approved ram. When you install ram not on the approved list it may work fine or it may not. You are in effect a beta tester; not something you want to do with your first build.

9. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses. Flashing the Bios was one of the options on in the manual. It states to go to the live update and update the Bios....this I will try to do today. I had also considered installing windows to see if this would help but decided not to last night because it was getting late and I didn't want to install for nothing. So now that I have someone else suggesting the same thing I will install windows today and post back with the results.

I am also using intergrated sound and video. This is being used as a workstation and doesn't need any bells or whistles on it.

I will complete the install with all drivers and updates and post back with the results.

Thank you for your responses, everyone on this site have always been great.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I never recommend using a windows based bios flashing utility like live update. When a bios needs flashing, use either the built in bios flash [if the bios has it] or a floppy.

Most high end boards have a built in bios flash utility that is part of the bios; ie you flash the bios from a bios menu.

11. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Ok, so far I got everything working. Installed windows and all drivers and updates and everything seems to be working fine. The problem that still exists is that I cannot install both RAM sticks. I tried installing both after everything else was installed and it wont post. So I am coming to the conclusion that I need to get approved ram for my motherboard.

Any other suggestions

Thanks

12. Sithtiger

Sithtiger

That sounds right to me. I've come across that more than once before. I always look at approved RAM nowadays before I do a full upgrade. Also make sure if your RAM is double sided or single sided. Even if you have the same brand, some mobos won't allow two double sided DIMMS or two single sided DIMMS. All mobos should have a chart that shows you what you can use. I think most mobo's like single sided DIMMS over double sided, but don't quote me on that. The point is to look at the chart!

13. Compiler

Compiler

A couple of quickies...

1 - which type of AMD 64 X2 CPU do you have?

2 - While OCZ may not be on the list, keep in mind that most manufactures of Mobos do NOT test all memory. They don't have time for it. But sticking with the better quality stuff will usually work. Memory does have to follow standards. With that said, I've installed OCZ in many AMD/ASUS systems - includingh the exact same board you have - without problems

3 - I've had problems with THAT exact same mobo, but they were defective.

4 - Have you confirmed that a DIMM is defective? Lets say you have DIMMs A & B. DIMM-A works fine in any slot? Install DIMM-B in a proper slot. According to the manual on page 1-13 - For two sticks of RAM, they should be on A1 & B1 (Closest to the CPU). DIMM-B when inserts causes problems... but try using JUST DIMM-B.

A bad DIMM can cause problems like this. If the mobo works fine with DIMM A or B by itself, then its the board. But if a specific DIMM is the problem...

14. Sanoka

Sanoka Thread Starter

Good morning Compiler, I don't think that it is the RAM because I tried every possible combination and I also tried the other set of identical ram with the same results. The mobo seems to be working fine, sound everything works just not able to use both sticks. I will building the second pc soon and will let you know if the mobo/ram combo give the same results. I may try to exchange one set for approved ram and see what the results are. Cost is about $50 for 1gig

15. Sithtiger

Sithtiger

It's possible that's it's something else, but it really seems like either you need to get approved RAM for the board, or there might be something wrong with the DIMM slots.

I just thought of one other thing. What's the mobo's recommended RAM voltage and what is the actual voltage of your RAM? If the RAM's voltage is higher, trying going into the BIOS and matching what the mobo recommends. That alone could you're problem....just something else to rule out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice