Help with new computer specs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cpgreen5171

I'm building a computer online at XiComputers, and I was hoping I could get some feedback on the options I have chosen. This is the first time I've done this, and I don't want to screw up! Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
cpgreen5171

PS. If you think I'm getting ripped off or can recommend another place to look, please let me know

l Xi® MTower™ 64 SLI Workstation (Base Configuration) $1,059.00

Upgrades And Options:

AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ 64Bit Dual Core (DC4000) 2x1024KB Hypertransport 689.00
l 2048MB DDR 400MHz PC3200 2x1024MB Dual Rank Interleave $159.00
l nVidia® GeForce 7800GT 256M DDR3 PCIe SLI-Ready Dual Head 2xDVI $399.00
l No Monitor ($100.00)
l 74GB 10000RPM SATA 150MB/s WD Raptor 8MB Cache <9ms $149.00
l Optional 500GB 7200RPM SATAII 300MB/s NCQ 16MB Cache 11ms avg. seek. $399.00
l HD Ctrl. According To Motherboard and HD Type Selected $0.00
l DVD+RW/DL/+R-R LightScribe™ Double Media 4.7/8.5GB 16x w/SW-Media $99.00
l CD-RW 52x52x24 ATAPI w/Software - media $29.00
l 1.44MB 3 1/2" Floppy Drive $0.00
l CreativeLab X-Fi Xtreme Music 7.1 24bit Digital Sound $125.00
l On board 1GB Ethernet (10/100/1000) on board LAN $0.00
l No Keyboard ($8.00)
l No mouse ($7.00)
l Windows® XP PRO Workstation CD-ROM w/manuals/act.reg.** SP2 $69.00
l Resource CD - contains Diagnostic links & Drivers $0.00
l Quick Reference Guide and @Xi Computer Manual $0.00
l File System: NTFS File System selected $0.00
l Multi I.O. Card reader Internal.7in1 USB 2.0 $35.00
l 2 Additional Parallel Ports 3 Total PCI Card (EPP/ECP) $59.00
l SIIG FIREWIRE 800 1394a/b DV-CAM KIT 3 Port PCI w/SW $79.00
l PCCARD (PCMCIA) DRIVE PCI VERSION $99.00
l PCCARD (PCMCIA) 2 Cards Backload PCI VERSION $149.00
l Adaptec 29320 USCSI-320 PCI Controller $259.00
l Asus® A8N32-SLI Dlx. Nvidia® NForce® 4 2xPCIe @16x DDR 400/533 -2x1GbNic+-SATA3Gb RAID 0/1/5 -1394-AC97 7.1 $165.00
l Power Supply conforming with selected case $0.00
l Total of 3 Years System HW Warranty P&L. FOB Xi $145.00
l Xi® MTower™ ATX Black-Silver T-Free-Lock Top USB/1394-12 bays-460W- 5xBB Fans. $85.00

Sub Total:
$4,136.00

[/FONT]

SirKenin

Banned
I think you're retarded, but other than that....

You don't need even half that crap. You're throwing your money away. If you're going to spend that kind of cake, though, you might as well go the extra distance and go for an Alienware computer.

You don't need Windows XP Pro. You probably don't have any idea why XP Pro is in existence. All you need is XP Home unless you are joining the computer to a domain, which you probably aren't.

You don't need the top model dual core AMD CPU.. You don't need to try and impress us... It's you that has to flip burgers for the rest of your life to pay for this.

You don't need SCSI. For all practical home application SCSI is a waste. Save yourself the $200. Besides, not one component in this supposed "future purchase" of yours utilizes SCSI. By the time you actually have a nickel left in your pocket from paying for this they'll probably have SCSI IV out or something.

You don't need a CD/RW AND a DVD/RW. A DVD/RW burns CD/Rs

It doesn't sound to me like this is a serious request. It looks to me that you are looking to make a scene. The compilation of components shows me that you haven't even studied anything about them, just thrown a bunch of stuff together and posted it on here to go "look at me!!!".

We are not amused. Not exactly an impressive first post on TSG.

cpgreen5171

Congratulations... I make my first post and the first response I get is from some jerk. So much for support, huh?

SirKenin

Banned
cpgreen5171 said:
Congratulations... I make my first post and the first response I get is from some jerk. So much for support, huh?
I'm far from a jerk. I'm very practical. You make a serious request, you'll generate from me a serious response.

You asked for feedback, you got it. Sorry you didn't get someone blowing sunshine up your behind and wooing you for your ridiculous nonsense.

Now. You got your response.. Maybe you can address some of the points brought up in it as opposed to crying the blues because I didn't pat you on the back and nurse your inflated ego and urgent cries for attention.

Hmmm?

If you do need serious help, I'm more than willing to give it to you. Like I said, you are supposedly willing to spend $4000 on a rig (and no, for the record I don't believe you one bit). I strongly suggest checking out Alienware's website at http://www.alienware.com/

EDIT: Incidentally, people that legitimately have that kind of money to spend on a computer don't give a damn what other people think, and they seldom if ever care if they are getting ripped off because they can afford it. They just go ahead and buy it and don't bother wasting their time bragging about it in a forum. I know. I sell computers for a living and my best clients are businesses with more money than they know what to do with. They don't question it. They just cut me a cheque. That's why I sense that you're full of it and spared no bones about it. Sorry. I'm rather blunt. One of my more endearing qualities... :p

cpgreen5171

You need to get a life...and apparently...a better job. As for your feedback... not particulary enlightening. Did you graduate from high school? I actually thought there would be intelligent, educated people responding to these posts. Anyway, I have better things to do.....I think I'll survive without any further "advice" from you.
Oh and yes.. I am buying the system, sorry if it's a bit nicer than your Commodore 64.

SirKenin

Banned
Ohhh, that was intelligent... Touche.

Highschool was too difficult for me... lol As for the job, sometimes I wish I did have a better job. Dealing with people like you (and in the home PC business I run across it more often than I would like) it is less than pleasant. The only bonus of it is that I work for myself, so I call my own shots. If I don't like you, I can always tell you to go to hell. hehe

Ok, you're going to spend the money. Fine. Go to Alienware. They have some of the most amazing stuff going and have easily established the reputation of having the best performance machine, hands down. If you are truly at all concerned about being ripped off, or truly want any advice, shop around. Go over there and do a price comparison and drop those products that I told you you don't need.

BTW, your wit and insults leave a little something to be desired. They are on par with a grade school level intellect. I have no problem with you using wit on me... All is fair in love and war... But you're going to have to do better than that.. :D

Okay lets get serious then -

l Optional 500GB 7200RPM SATAII 300MB/s NCQ 16MB Cache 11ms avg. seek. $399.00 <--- way too much you can get 300 GB sata's for 150 or so

l CD-RW 52x52x24 ATAPI w/Software - media $29.00 <-- no need you have a DVD player

l Multi I.O. Card reader Internal.7in1 USB 2.0 $35.00 <---- you can get 24 in ones cheaper than this on ebay

l 2 Additional Parallel Ports 3 Total PCI Card (EPP/ECP) $59.00 <---not needed unless your an old parallel printer fiend. board already comes with 1 onboard.

l SIIG FIREWIRE 800 1394a/b DV-CAM KIT 3 Port PCI w/SW $79.00 <---- you already get firewire on board don't need more.

l PCCARD (PCMCIA) DRIVE PCI VERSION $99.00 <-not needed
l PCCARD (PCMCIA) 2 Cards Backload PCI VERSION $149.00 <-not needed

l Adaptec 29320 USCSI-320 PCI Controller $259.00 < what are you going to use SCSi for all your drives are SATA?

While SirKenan may have been a bit harsh your choices do seem to be a bit lacking. I can understand wanting Pro vrs Home though and I can understand wanting a fast CPU too :) but a fair ammount of this was overbuy IMHO.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
SirKenin said:
I think you're retarded, but other than that....
You know better than to start heaving personal insults at other users, please try to contain yourself. :( Stick to factual responses. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

While you wouldn't necessarily choose this system, there's nothing wrong with it, sounds like a pretty nice system. There are a few components that maybe don't belong, why not be nice and tell him about them? I have to wonder why all your vitriol regarding his system choices. :confused: Is it more system than necessary? Maybe. Is your 300HP muscle car more than necessary? Probably. What's your point?

cpgreen5171

Thanks to those of you who tried to help, but I'm done here...I will not be reading anything further at this website.

SirKenin

Banned
It's 300HP, but it's not a muscle car... It's a Caddy and it needs all that HP just to pull the boat around town.. haha :D

Ok, good point John and well taken.

SirKenin

Banned
cpgreen5171 said:
Thanks to those of you who tried to help, but I'm done here...I will not be reading anything further at this website.
See, this is what I mean and further backs up my assumptions.

Any intelligent individual that posts an incredibly poorly configured computer that all he did was enable every single top end option in the drop down boxes except for a keyboard, mouse and monitor, throw it up onto a website, claim to be looking for opinions and then kick and scream when he doesn't get the glowing praise that he was looking for needs to be seriously questioned.

When he doesn't get what he wants, out comes the grade school insults that my 10 year old daughter outgrew.

Then when people DO try to help without the brashness that I exhibited, he continues to cry and say how he won't be back.

Newsflash. People that are ATTENTION SEEKERS use that technique. The average, well adjusted individual doesn't say s/he won't be back. They just disappear. The attention seeker picks every single top end option in a computer configuration window and then posts it in a forum and goes "what do you think of my new system?". Hrmph.

This further affirms my notion that this entire thread was a huge joke. I am not justified in insulting him. John is absolutely right, and I apologize. However, I grew sick and tired of games years ago.

So where is your apology to our new member who was so rudely treated and unnecessarily insulted?

We've had to deal with your crap before SirKenin! This isn't the first time your posts have made this site look bad. I don't know who you think you are, but we don't tolerate this crap here. This will be your final warning! :mad:

SirKenin

Banned
The apology was an all in one, both to John and to this new member.

What bothers me, though, is how you had to trapse in here and flex your muscles when John Will had already adequately and appropriately put me in my place. I made a mistake. I admitted it. IMHO you had no need to come in after the fact, especially when it's obvious that the thread is a hoax, flexing your muscles and trying the cold and hardened approach.

I have been more than ample help around here to quite a few of your members, taking time out of my schedule on my dime. I have more than earned my keep. True, that doesn't justify me jumping down someone's throat, but it should preempt a response such as yours when another moderator, as is plain to see, has already done the job to bring me back down to earth.

Talk with John, and if you still feel it appropriate then kindly disable my account for me. Else, in the future kind words by one moderator will more than suffice to ensure that I remain in the place I belong.

Thank you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online